Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stuck Pixels?  (Read 2481 times)

Doomsayer

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Stuck Pixels?
    « on: July 18, 2006, 07:19:36 AM »
    So,  I have a 17" LCD monitor that i've had for about a year,  upon recieving it, i discovered two dead pixels,  The warranty only covers 8 or more dead pixels,  so they wouldn't do anything for me,  so i assumed that i would have to live with this.

Recently,  i have done some research and discovered, that according to several websites,  i have "Stuck pixels"  not "dead pixels"  because dead pixels are stuck either black or white,   but one of mine is Yellow, and the other Green.

This, according to my research,  also means that these "stuck" pixels,  are not permanent,  and can be cured, allegedly through several different methods

I have been reluctant to try these,  because all warn that they have the possibility of causing more of these Stuck pixels.  and void most warrantys.

I was just wondering,  if any of you have had similar experiences that you were able to fix through a safe/effective method.

So thanks in advance for all your help
    (you guys are always awesome)

Doomsayer

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Stuck Pixels?
      « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:35:03 AM »
      Personally, I'd like to know what that resource meant by "stuck pixels".  My experience has been if a pixel doesn't work, then it doesn't work and I (or the customer) just deals with it.

If you can afford to replace the monitor, then try their fixes.  If not, then just leave it alone.

Alan <><  ;)
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Doomsayer

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:51:46 AM »
        Well,  that's what i thought,  that's why i haven't done anything for the year i've had this monitor.   but then when i was reading,  several forums, and different websites like wikkihow (i realize this may not be authoritative)  have stated that Dead pixels are, in fact  black,  and that if it is just stuck a certain color,  it is "stuck" because "the liquid in the liquid crystal has not spread into each little pixel. This liquid is used with the backlight on your monitor, allowing different amounts of light through which give off different colors."      

thanks for your input,    i'm just wondering what everybody thinks on the subject.   ;)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
          « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:59:37 AM »
          If you told us what the Cure was maybe we could make a risk Assessment  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
          Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Doomsayer

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 10:14:45 AM »
            Fair Enough,   Some possible solutions i have heard are as follows:

-    1. Turn off your computer's monitor.
               2. Get yourself a damp cloth, so that you don't scratch your screen.
               3. Apply pressure to the area where the stuck pixel is. Do not put pressure anywhere else, as this may make more stuck pixels.
               4. While applying pressure, turn on your computer and screen.
               5. Remove pressure and the stuck pixel should be gone. This works as the liquid in the liquid crystal has not spread into each little pixel. This liquid is used with the backlight on your monitor, allowing different amounts of light through, which creates the different colours.

- the use of the following programs:    Link to dead pixel test.
                                                                         http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html

"Dead Pixel Buddy"  http://www.laptopshowcase.co.uk/downloads.php?id=1

or a simple browser based solution similar to those programs

http://whackabrain.com/pixel/unstuck.html  

they seem to rapidly change through a series of colors,  and are usually a few pixels tall and accross,  or cover the whole screen,   the success rates of the "massaging method"  seem to be higher,  howwever,   the Rapidly changing color utilities,  seem to be safer. in most cases.  
            « Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:37:56 AM by Doomsayer »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
              « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:22:12 AM »
              I Can understand how the Poking the monitor method might work, but you'd be Risking doing as much damage as you were Curring..

why don you go into a PC shop , and poke there monitors , see how easy it is to do damage be fore trying it on you own... The Display monitors in the shops are expected to be broken by the time the range is over anyway.. and then they got sold off Cheep

Don't tell any one i suggested this ok... its not like I'm saying this in public.
              Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice