Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pics to CD question or rather questions...  (Read 2834 times)

thewall86

Pics to CD question or rather questions...
« on: July 19, 2006, 05:15:24 PM »
1st question...I just received a CD with pics on it from my son however I cannot get it to open. It's listed as a cda file & looks like a musical icon (if that helps). Goto my computer click disc drive & musicmatch jukebox opens & of course no files listed?? Tried opening with Windows Media Player but it says theres no file available. I asked my son how he opens it on his pc & he stated just my computer/click disc drive & widows media player opens & shows all the pics on the cd. So what's up with that? (I redownloaded Media Player too just in case somethin was wrong with mine..
2nd question...if I want to put pics on a disc from my pc...do I just goto mypictures right click on pic & copy to disc drive or do I use easy cd creator & if so, do I save them as data files or what..??
Thanks in advance for any help...also if you would, please keep answer in easy to understand form for the pcilliterate ppl such as myself....THANKS Again

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Pics to CD question or rather questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 07:08:57 PM »
Might your son have sent the wrong CD?  cda file extension indicates an audio file, not a photo.  Can you just browse to the CD via Windows Explorer and see what all is on it, without launching an application?  You should be able to do that.

If you have Windows XP, you can burn photos do a CD by either method you mentioned.  However, Roxio may have some special features for burning photos.  If not, just burn them as data files.  I have Nero, not Roxio.  One of the choices in it for burning is Video/Pictures.  I see, in Nero's Help, that that option allows some enhanced features for video or photos.  This includes some layout, text, and background options.  But, you can simply burn photos as data files if you are not interested such special options.

thewall86

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 11:39:15 PM »
Thank you for responding......as for doing the search thing, I can go into Media Player & select list all files & it will show only 1 file on the cd...it has the .cda. I know you say .cda is an audio file however this is the right disc, took it over to my sons, stuck it in....mycomputer/disc drive & up comes mediaplayer & shows all the pics. So I really don't understand what's goin on now.....Thank again..

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 06:21:30 AM »
I think you need to inquire about the details of how your son created that CD.  Media Player is not the normal application for viewing photos.  My guess is he used a burning program such as Roxio or Nero and selected the music type CD for his burning procedure, rather than selecting Video/Pictures or Data.  Did he intend to create a CD with both pictures and audio?  Does the CD play any sound on his computer?

As to why the content of the CD can viewed on his computer but not yours, I can only speculate.  Can you test it on another computer?  If it won't work on another computer, I suspect the photos are not actually on the CD, but are perhaps being opened from his hard drive from whatever he burned to the CD.  Thus, it will only work on his computer.  

You did not answer my previous question?  Can you just browse to the CD via Windows Explorer and see what all is on it, without launching an application?  You should be able to do that.  NOT MEDIA PLAYER, EXPLORER.  And, how much space is consumed on the CD?  Photos are large files.  How many photos are supposed to be on the CD?  You should be able to get some idea whether the number of bytes on the CD seems realistic for what's supposed to be on it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »
It also could be possible that he did not finalise the CD project...when this happens the CD looks blank except on the machine where it was burned...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "