Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Out of system resources  (Read 4298 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Out of system resources
    « on: July 21, 2006, 08:28:04 PM »
    Aagh. Just when you think you're safe, you get hit again.

It seems that whenever I go to anything on About.com (sometimes Google leads me there when trying to answer a programming question) I get spyware/malware or something like that. For that reason I usually avoid About.com. Sadly, I don't always check the URL of the Google results, and I get stuck with this.

OK. I booted up the computer, so I could do some programming work. I soon got the error message:

OK. I have a GB of memory and a 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 3700+ processor. The chance of me being out of system resources at all is small, let alone at startup. One possible cause: Malware.

Further confirmation came with a Ctrl-Alt-Delete and checking CPU usage. There was a huge spike in use right at the start (during which I got the message; during this time my PC was on the slow side, not to my satisfaction). Also, I checked Memory usage on the Processes tab of the Task Manager. A quick scan down the list showed that explorer.exe was using 23,892 KB of memory! Not good. doing elementary school math, I discovered that in all, I was out 67% of my memory (not just explorer, but all the background programs as well). Ooookaay, something's wrong.

Of course, I'm not a complete idiot. I started updating and scanning. A-squared found 7 malicious objects, all adware and tracking cookies. SpyBot - Search and Destroy found nothing.  AVG Free found my HOSTS file, but it always does that (actually, is there a way to get it to stop recognizzing my HOSTS file?). Ad-aware found 5 critical and 40 negligible.  >Pic< Last, and least, Norton found nothing.

After all this, I ran HijackThis to see if anything glared out at me. Nothing did, but maybe you guys will see otherwise. Attached is the log as usual. After all this work, though, I'm running Defrag. :)
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 08:29:39 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

GX1_Man

Re: Out of system resources
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 08:43:55 PM »
    Dilbert,

You have made the point again of why people should have a dual boot Linux setup for accessing the Internet, if for no other use at all.   ;)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 09:42:35 PM »
    I find it hard to believe that About.com is a source of spyware.  I get an email newsletter from About.com and occasionally follow a link from a newsletter to the website.  And, a brief look with Google for some indication that About.com has any association with spyware turns up nothing.  Maybe you'd better guess again.

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 12:26:21 AM »
      Do you have a regular maintenance schedule for your computer?
      For you I'd recommend a clean OS install once a Month.  :D
      « Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 12:26:57 AM by Fed »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 02:23:41 AM »
        LOL .................... Ya , but he's using Grams computer ....lol......
        She wont be happy .......

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 03:53:56 AM »
        Grammy is going to change her logon password on you!  :o :o :o :o

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
          It's my PC. She let me being my supa-coll electricity-guzzling supercomputer to her house. ;D

Anyhow, I may be wrong about About.com but it seems to coincide with that site. Then again, I visit a lot of sites on my machine while reserching different coding techniques and any one of them could have malware on it. :-/

I'm taking it that my log is, malware speaking anyway, clean? If so, I'm happy; I booted my machine this morning and didn't get the error. It's also running a tad faster (defrag does work after all; Norton's Speed Disk is Norton's one redeeming factor) than before, and my CPU usage is far from 100%.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that after getting the error I also updated SpywareBlaster and downloaded a new HOSTS file. You think maybe I'm overreacting a little? ;)

(As an aside, I have a question about SpywareBlaster. Does it need to be running while I browse the net to work, or does it work "behind-the-scenes"?)

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 10:16:30 AM »
          (As an aside, I have a question about SpywareBlaster. Does it need to be running while I browse the net to work, or does it work "behind-the-scenes"?)

It has to be running to be doing it's job, by definition.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 10:18:13 AM »
            Oh, I thought it was supposed to run in the background like too many programs today do. Ah, I had to ask that stupid question sometime. :)

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 07:38:01 AM »
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            « Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 10:14:29 AM »
            Oh, I thought it was supposed to run in the background like too many programs today do. Ah, I had to ask that stupid question sometime. :)
            I don't use SpywareBlaster but, surely, if it's running in the background, then it IS running and IS providing protection, same as anti-virus or other programs that run in the background.  
            « Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:14:52 AM by soybean »

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
              « Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 02:34:28 PM »
              Dilbert,

You have made the point again of why people should have a dual boot Linux setup for accessing the Internet, if for no other use at all.   ;)

lol yea i put linux on the family comp but it ask you to choose an operating system with u first start the computer so i couldnt hide it lol..

Neil

Expert
              • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
                « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 09:09:34 AM »
                Try accessing the website through http://www.ninjaproxy.com/ worth a shot.