Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FTP help  (Read 4050 times)

joe_tucker

FTP help
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:19:32 AM »
I made a site with bravenet.com. Used cuteFTP to upload all the files I wanted for a layout, worked great but.. how do I write and change the text written? I thought it might be something in the files I uploaded but I had no luck in my search.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: FTP help
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 08:28:09 AM »
I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you asking how to upload a page that you've edited?  IF so, just upload it via FTP again, overwriting the old page.

joe_tucker

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 02:06:19 PM »
No, I uploaded all the FTP files and all the text says for example : This is the subheader .... : and I don't know how to change that.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 02:15:42 PM »
Are these HTML files for web pages?  Are you trying to get a website published?

joe_tucker

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 02:59:25 PM »
Yes.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 03:21:28 PM »
So, you have not been to get a web page to properly display yet, right?  Are you using the free hosting or a paid plan?  Did they send you any info or do they have info on their website about how to upload your HTML files?  With many fee-based hosting services, you would upload your files to a directory named /public_html.  When you make an FTP connection, have you seen a directory named /public_html?  Can you navigate through some directories with cuteFTP?  Also, you probably need to have the home page named index.htm.  Do you?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 03:22:24 PM by soybean »

joe_tucker

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »
So, you have not been to get a web page to properly display yet, right?  Are you using the free hosting or a paid plan?  Did they send you any info or do they have info on their website about how to upload your HTML files?  With many fee-based hosting services, you would upload your files to a directory named /public_html.  When you make an FTP connection, have you seen a directory named /public_html?  Can you navigate through some directories with cuteFTP?  Also, you probably need to have the home page named index.htm.  Do you?

I have gotten it to display right it looks great, but I just can't edit the text. It's a free plan with Bravenet.com and they gave me FTP access. No I didn't see a /public_html only a index.htm or something and I replaced it. It works and everything the pages and all, the only problem is I don't know how to change the text. See for yourself www.kmfclan.bravehost.com.
As you notice it's all default, and when I click forums it goes to someone elses forums, and I don't know how to change all that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 03:35:52 PM by joe_tucker »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 03:56:11 PM »
Well, how did you create the page in the first place?  

joe_tucker

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 04:08:27 PM »
I didn't create it,
I downloaded the files from a website.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 04:34:27 PM »
Well then, you've got some homework to do.  You're going to have learn how to either create and edit HTML files on your computer or via an online browser-based web editor.  Since you downloaded these files, the first option (create and edit HTML files on your computer) seems most applicable to your situation.  The simple text editor, Windows Notepad, can be used to edit web pages, but any major development or modifcation of web page layout requires a solid knowledge of HTML or HTML editing software that alleviates the need for thorough knowledge of HTML.  Here's a reference: Creating your own Web pages  

By the way, who created the web page and what gives you the right to use it?  Did you pay someone to create it for you?  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:35:42 PM by soybean »

joe_tucker

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 06:41:58 PM »
Someone created it and put it up on a website full of free themes, they give you the option to download their themes. If you look at the bottom it says his name who made it, and in the readme it says as long as I keep his name on their I can use it. By the way thanks for the tips.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 06:45:09 PM by joe_tucker »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 07:20:07 PM »
Rob Pomeroy, a frequent participant in this forum and very knowledgeable on web page development, often recommends a freeware HTML editor called Nvu.  You might want to try it.  Some very helpful info can be found on the web, also, such as http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

joe_tucker

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 08:41:17 PM »
THANK YOU. That Nvu program is all I need. Thank you very much.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 07:59:56 PM »
Why is this a sticky?