Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer Not Connecting  (Read 3222 times)

CHARMING

Internet Explorer Not Connecting
« on: July 31, 2006, 04:00:37 PM »
My internet explorer will not connect.

system: Microsoft Windows XP (home) 2002
Dell Dimension DIM4700 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4CPU  2.80GHz  2.79GHz  512MB

Problem:  When I click on desktop icon, it appears to be connecting as usual but then immediately shuts down before the MSN page comes up.  The high speed internet connection is intact.  Have noticed that my connection has gotten slower & slower over the past few weeks.

Have tried restoring Windows XP back to an earlier copy but no luck and have run Norton diagnostics.
Have also run Norton WinDoctor and come up with 10 'missing files' as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\Framework\v2.0.507237.....
1) \aspnet_regiis.exe  2) aspnet_state.exe  3) aspnet_wp.exe  4) \aspnet_wp.exe  5) \csc.exe  6) \cvtres.exe  7) \ilasm.exe  8) \mscorsvw.exe  9) \ngen.exe  10) \vbc.exe
and all followed by the same message 'cannot access a necessary file, "msvcr80.dll"

That being said, how can I fix this.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated!    :-/

GX1_Man

Re: Internet Explorer Not Connecting
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 05:15:52 PM »
Well, that's not much to work on, but how about a system restore to a date when things worked correctly?

Have you been on a file deletion spree?

CHARMING

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:31:03 PM »
No, have not been on a 'file deletion spree'.  Have tried a system restore, but will try again with an earlier date...thx for the advice...char

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 06:05:38 PM »
You might want to rey installing .net again from the WIndows update site.

CHARMING

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 07:34:10 PM »
Tried the restore again but no go...
How can I reinstall the windows .net update if I can't get online?
I'm using my partner's computer to access email, etc.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 08:23:14 PM »
Do you have a real Windows CD to reinstall if necessary?

Are you sure you are malware free?

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

divcraft

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 01:58:07 AM »
If you havent already tired mabey you should try using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer...

Also Internet Explorer 7 Beta is now avalible. try puting that onto a flash drive or whatever and transfering it.

CHARMING

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 07:44:19 PM »
It's a mystery, but am now able to get on line again.  Thanks to all for your advice, especially the SAFE COMPUTING blurb, which I wish I'd read a couple of months ago.  Explains why my computer has been dragging its arse since I installed Norton about two months ago.  Another thing I noticed is that I started getting TONS of spam/*censored* mail around the same time - prior to that I got maybe 2-3 a week. Go figure!  I may just dump Norton and cut my losses.

I will clean things up as suggested and reinstall Windows from my disk.  Am also going to take Div's advice and use Mozilla Firefox from now on.

Thanks again!  CHAR

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 05:35:53 PM »
Glad that link was helpful and thanks for posting back.