Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Onboard AC'97 audio is driving me nuts...  (Read 2063 times)

Dead_reckon

Onboard AC'97 audio is driving me nuts...
« on: August 21, 2006, 08:37:49 AM »
i have integrated AC'97 6 channel audio on my MSI 7060 mobo, it keeps messing up, time after time. i dont know if it is because i have used it too much (i listen to music WHENEVER i am on the computer, unless im playing a game) or what... sometimes it wont work at all, and i have to uninstall it via the device manager, then tell it to scan for changes, where it re installs the AC'97 audio. sometimes it will start crackling, some times it will only come out of one speaker and just make a horrible scratching noise out of the other. now, i am somewhat reluctant to replace this for one reason: it has an EQ software with it, and, once it works, it sounds great through my amp\stereo, but, if i buy a new sound card, i atleast want basic treble and bass controls. i have no idea what this feature is called, or if it is even a listed feature. anyone help on finding a card to these specs would be nice:

the card has to be PCI

the card has to be 5.1 surround sound or above

the card must support basic tone controls (bass, treble, ect)

the card must have pins to plug the front audio ports of my case into

the card must have a mic in and line in

the card must be no more than about 40 bucks

my budget for this card will probably be nothing over 20 bucks... mabey 40 if i get my grandmother to buy it instead of my dad for my B-day. i would pay for it myself once i sell this 1991 SNES and 1985 NES, but i need that money for a new vid card (yes, my computer needs quite a bit of upgrading)...

EDIT: forgot to mention, the card MUST also have a midi\game port, no way around that, here is a list of cards that i was looking over

[link]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&OEMMark=-1&Manufactory=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=1011%3A8503&PropertyCodeValue=1011%3A8501&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=1022%3A8528&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&Submit=Property&SubCategory=57[/link]

this is a card that i had my eye on because of the price and the 10 band eq:

[link]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829111003[/link]

i have no idea if this card is worth buying, seems like a good deal, but it has no reviews, no one seems to have found it worth posting or somthing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:47:11 AM by Dead_reckon »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Onboard AC'97 audio is driving me nuts...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:02:17 AM »
That last one you listed may simply be a fairly new offering from newegg.com and they just accumulated any reviews on it yet.  I do think you can get a satisfactory card for not more than $20.  I bought a 5.1-capable card from newegg back in April 2005 that I only paid about $13 plus shipping for.  It's worked fine for me, using the 2.1 speakers I had prior to buying the card.  I've never bought a set of 5.1 speakers.  I bought the sound card because, like you, I was having some problems with onboard sound.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 05:20:44 PM »
That last one you listed may simply be a fairly new offering from newegg.com and they just accumulated any reviews on it yet.  I do think you can get a satisfactory card for not more than $20.  I bought a 5.1-capable card from newegg back in April 2005 that I only paid about $13 plus shipping for.  It's worked fine for me, using the 2.1 speakers I had prior to buying the card.  I've never bought a set of 5.1 speakers.  I bought the sound card because, like you, I was having some problems with onboard sound.

i just want 5.1 so i can have my amp as front, stereo as rear, and find another old stereo unit to use as center, i do not care how loud it is, but i care about sound quality. i had just got home from getting some school supplies (school starts tommorow... yet another year of idiots PO'ing me), when, the wireless goes a-wall, had to use my bro's computer and toy with the routers settings before my wireless card would connect. i belive i am going to ask my grandma to get me the vid card i want, and i dont think my dad will mind gettin a sound card for me for my B-day... if i get my dad to get it, it will be a late present, we dont have anymoney right now, wont till after the first of the month. worth the wait, although, i have to go through another annoying round of matching pins to plugs for the front audio jacks... god, i just got these things installed (had to mod my exisiting port holes, just drilled two holes, mounted em temporarly with a zip tie till i come up with a better solution... i also have to cut a slit in my case to make the board clear, oh i how i hate endless mods...)

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:30:18 PM »
Most computers don't require any "modding", ever.  ::)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 05:50:55 PM »
Most computers don't require any "modding", ever.  ::)

eh, just the face plate, these front ports wouldnt fit stock