Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't open IE - no shortcuts!  (Read 2993 times)

reisender

Can't open IE - no shortcuts!
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:49:44 AM »
After formatting my computer, I deleted all of the desktop and start menu shortcuts for IE because I never use it.
I assumed there would be a shortcut/executable in the IE folder should I ever need it.  But there is none.
I ran a file search and it only came up with .ico files and a shortcut to IE "with no add-ons", which is pretty useless.

I'm running English Windows XP Home SP2 and my IE setup file says IE7, but the version number says 6.2.29.0

I also tried to uninstall it (add/remove) so that I could reinstall it, but it freezes in the process.  It even screwed up my norton, so I had to do a system restore.

Can anyone help me to create a shortcut or find someway I can use IE?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Can't open IE - no shortcuts!
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 05:12:20 AM »
    First set Windows Explorer to display hidden folders and files then try searching your computer for iexplore.exe.
    If you find the file then double click on it and if ity opens you should be able to set IE to display a desktop icon.
    (A lot of ifs & shoulds in there because I'm working from IE6.)

reisender

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:54:38 AM »
    Cheers for the reply.
    I did what you said and the search found this file.

IEXPLORE.EXE-06887102.pf   in folder   c:/windows/prefetch

I clicked on it and got a link to the microsoft site which I don't quite understand (below).
    I'm guessing this is not the right .exe

"File Type: PF file

File Extension: .pf
    Description: Several programs use this file extension to store different types of data.

* Software or information available at: Aladdin Systems Private Files Encrypted File
        * Progress Parameter File
        * Microsoft Windows Prefetch File: Windows uses this file internally to store information necessary to start applications faster
        * Monitor or Printer Profile File"

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 12:41:34 PM »
       reisender...... If you go to ....  C:/programs/Internet Explorer .......(hopefully it is installed) there should be a IE icon there that you can send to the desktop as a shortcut .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

reisender

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 10:05:27 AM »
      Thanks.  Actually, the Internet Explorer folder was the first place I looked.  Wasn't there.
      Then I remembered Fed's post and revealed the hidden files, and there it was.
      I don't know why it's hidden.

Anyway, now I can get my browser open, but have a new problem.
      Since I tried uninstalling (unsuccessfully) my control panel -> internet options doesn't open.
      Also, there is no top bar where "file, edit, view, go" etc should be.  So I can't adjust anything!

Btw, since I use firefox and never IE (i just need it for something at the moment)
      does the internet options folder only apply to IE, and the options folder in the firefox menu is only for firefox, or are they connected?