Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC shut down itself???  (Read 3787 times)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    PC shut down itself???
    « on: August 22, 2006, 11:16:48 PM »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me here. I have a laptop toshiba, model: Satellite 2430, system type: x86-based PC.

What's been happening is that it has been shutting itself down lately when in the middle of running something (could be games or other applications). Then, i thought i might want to reformat the entire hard drive and start all over again.

Then, i put in the XP CD to the CD drive and run it. It turns off in the middle of formatting the hard drive.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thank you in advance.

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      Re: PC shut down itself???
      « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:04:57 AM »
      Hi Quatroking,

Thank you for your reply.

I have removed the battery and let it be connected to the power cord only. So far, it's working without shutting down. So what's wrong with the battery? What's the cause of this? and what should i do?

Thank you in advance

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:12:53 AM »
        Hi again,

a few minutes after having posted my reply to you, it dies down.

So the answer is No. It doesn't help eventhough removing the battery and use just the power from the power point.

I have also tried out running on the battery itself without the power coming from the power point, that doesn't help either.

What else are there i should try?

My suspicion is the fan or something.

Thank you in advance

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 03:56:18 AM »
        Does it shut down or rebot? If shutting down it is probably overheating due to dirt, or a bad fan.

In any case it would probably be good to give it a trip to the doctor.
        « Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 03:56:38 AM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 02:52:16 PM »
        Agreed...also they are not exactly designed to be user servicable but if you choose to go down that road you will see.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 02:52:21 PM »
          Funny you should mention a Toshiba laptop.  I just got an email from a friend with a Toshiba laptop (don't know model) shes had for less than 2 years and has nothing but problems with...you guessed it...the battery and power supply.  She'd done some research on it (she writes technical stuff so I know she's thorough) and found hundreds of complaints about the problem.  Her solution:  she's going to replace the laptop.

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »
          My brother has a TOshiba laptop with a K2450 processor that came with Windows 98 SE when that first came out. Daily use for several hours and he has never had any problem with it. I reformatted it for him once and it has continued to be a great machine.

Maybe this falls in the "They don't make them like they used to" category.  ;)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 06:23:49 PM »
            Hi Guys,

Thank you for your feedback.

GX1_Man, it shuts down itself and it's not a reboot but a complete shutdown. I agree with you that it'd be due to the overheating problem. I have downloaded the speedfan program to monitor it but haven't installed it yet.

I'll let you know what's happening here.

Is there any way of finding out what the standard temperatures for CPU or other important hardwares on the motherboard are (you know like a guidelines)?

Thank you in advance

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 07:27:37 PM »
            These are dependant on the processor and the cooling apparatus. The Toshiba site may yield some insight.  ;)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 07:37:30 PM »
              Hi GX1_Man,

Thank you for your reply.

I left the machine cool down overnight and this morning, i test it by running the windows installation CD. It went OK until the stage where it started copying the files from the drive to the hard drive. It shut down completely without rebooting.

I have also tried to take the battery off the laptop and just use the power AC coming from the power adaptor. It run for a while and shut down ( i don't know if the battery is low). This doesn't help either.

One thing i like to ask here is on the back of the laptop, it says output 19V -- 4.74A. I use the general power adaptor, not the one come with the laptop. It has output 19V -- 4.5A. Do you think that this might be the cause?

Thank you in advance

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 04:03:30 AM »
              You should always use the correct power adapter for a laptop, as supplied by the manufacturer.

Mikey357

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 10:43:25 AM »
              It's not some kind of stop error is it?