Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Web Server Software  (Read 2258 times)

MLAKEY

Web Server Software
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:11:17 PM »
Quick query.  

What web server software would people recommend?  I've done a fair bit of web programming on pretty much most of the main platforms, but as far as back-office work, I have only ever set MS IIS 5 up.

I am thinking of doing a little freelance work again, but have no web server to test any applications that I write.  Hence the question.  What is easy to set up, fairly secure (i.e. doesn't cause my firewall to twitch everytime something happens), FREE etc. etc. ??  I looked at Apache, but the Apache site that I visited said that there may be firewall issues after installation.  

Ta v. much.

M

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Web Server Software
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 02:20:53 AM »
Firewall issues with Apache?  Nah.

Apache is definitely your best choice for several reasons:
  • small memory footprint
  • low processor utilisation, whether the site is loaded or not
  • cost
  • stability
  • security
  • compatibility
You might be best grabbing a WAMP distribution (Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP) that would be comparatively easy to install.  Installing Apache can be tricky at times, but is always worth the effort.

The only firewall issue I can think of is that you might need to set up port forwarding on your router if you want to allow external access to the web site.

I wouldn't recommend going back to IIS 5 - not when Apache is so much better.  IIS 6 is pretty good, but you may not have access to it.

You can run ASP code on Apache servers, but I would recommend making the (relatively easy) transition to PHP.  Code processing is much MUCH quicker, and because PHP is so widespread, there are plenty of script libraries out there.  Plus one of your best friends happens to have a fair amount of PHP experience.  ;)

Oh - that's another reason to install Apache too!  ;D

PS  Where in the blazes are you going to find time for this freelance work?!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 02:22:18 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos