Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can i SAFELY delete SA.DAT File ?  (Read 5203 times)

LittleMoney

Can i SAFELY delete SA.DAT File ?
« on: September 19, 2006, 06:08:48 PM »
 :D this is my first time here, please be kind i'm a newbee. I've got an HP pavilion dv8110us notebook pc with Windows XP Service pack 2. My qeustion is: A file [ SA.DAT ]showed up on the desktop today, i think from setting the file & folder options to--Show Hidden Files and Folders, a GOOGLE search sayes it belongs to Task Manager, which i never use. Can i delete SA.DAT from the decktop without worry OR can i drag&drop it into the C:\WINDOWS\TASK file OR ????.  :-?

johnchain

Re: Can i SAFELY delete SA.DAT File ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:18:58 PM »
Awkward that it ended up on your desktop. Do you have an sa.dat file in C:\WINDOWS\TASKS\ ?

If not, paste it in there and see what happens, I think you should be safe. If there is one in there, backup the one on your desktop and paste it in the Tasks directory stated above. Try that at first and see if everything still works ok.

LittleMoney

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 06:34:14 PM »
answer to johnchain: No sa.dat is not in the Task folder. What makes you ask "Awkward that it ended up on your desktop."? and how do i backup the one on my desktop?

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:04:23 AM »
    What file size is it and I assume you've virus scanned it.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:22:24 AM »
    Does it appear on your desktop as a shortcut icon, one with the little box with an arrow inside, in the lower left corner of the icon?  If so, you can probably just delete it to the Recycle Bin.