Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Oh God, my world...  (Read 2659 times)

jerkbutt

Oh God, my world...
« on: September 19, 2006, 12:07:13 PM »
Okay folks, this is how it is.  I posted on here about a week ago saying that my computer, (a 2003 eMachines) wouldn't register that anything was connected to it, (ie. monitor, mouse, memory stick)  The tower was still running, wirring and what-not and many people suggested it was probably the motherboard.

Well I congratulate you all on a correct guess.  I took it in to a local computer place and they found out that, in fact, it was a "defective motherboard".  Now her are my questions:

1. What the *censored* is a "defective motherboard"?  or in other words, why did it just die, suddenly?
2. He said they are trying to find the EXACT matching motherboard and it's difficult, and if they do find the EXACT one it's gonna be pricey, and if they can't find the exact one, they are going to have to completely re-instal windows.  No my question here is, am I going to lose everything on my hardrive?  Is there anyway to save my stuff from computer oblivion?  I have 3 novels and everything i've ever written on that harddrive, as well as countless irreplaceable photos.

Now, I know, i'm a complete idiot for not backing up my files, but i'm jus ta stupid girl so give me a break, please. :( >:(

Thanks for any help guys,
Mandy

Raptor

Re: Oh God, my world...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 12:14:45 PM »
1. What the *censored* is a "defective motherboard"?  or in other words, why did it just die, suddenly?
2. He said they are trying to find the EXACT matching motherboard and it's difficult, and if they do find the EXACT one it's gonna be pricey, and if they can't find the exact one, they are going to have to completely re-instal windows.  No my question here is, am I going to lose everything on my hardrive?  Is there anyway to save my stuff from computer oblivion?  I have 3 novels and everything i've ever written on that harddrive, as well as countless irreplaceable photos.

1. A defective motherboard might mean that the transistors (probably not the correct translation, see attached image) have started to leak and lost their ability to handle any type of power throughput. Or perhaps something has burned in or something shorted out. It's very difficult to tell because there are so many connections on one mainboard but sometimes you'll be able to tell a motherboard is useless by simply inspecting it with the bare eye.

2. What you can do is mount this Hard Disk Drive in another computer and bring your work to safety. The computer might be willing to do that for you as well (be VERY specific and persistent otherwise they might simply forget. Many people are negligent, don't forget that.)

Do you have another computer in your posession and the skills to mount/connect a second Hard Disk Drive?

Well, actually, you do not need to have the skills because we can talk you through it but you do need to know how to use a screwdriver.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 12:16:34 PM by Raptor »

jerkbutt

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 12:18:04 PM »
Okay, cool.  And yes, my boyfriend, who I live with, and who's computer i'm on right now is our other source, however we both don't know if you can mount another harddrive onto it.  How can you tell?

Thanks a ton!
Mandy

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 12:18:08 PM »

It can die for a number of reasons: defective/weak electrical component / power suppy surge to the motherboard / cooling issues +  a lot more

2. He said they are trying to find the EXACT matching motherboard and it's difficult, and if they do find the EXACT one it's gonna be pricey, and if they can't find the exact one, they are going to have to completely re-instal windows.  

If you're running XP (I'm sure you are) they are correct in having to find an exact replacement because XP (& Windows 2000 for that matter) was set up so that it must have the same hard drive controller to work properly. That controller is located on the motherboard.  If they DON'T find the exact board, or something VERY similar, XP  won't like the controller and will give you a stop screen and that's it, game over  :(  I've read there are ways around that but I've yet to find one that works.

No my question here is, am I going to lose everything on my hardrive?  Is there anyway to save my stuff from computer oblivion?  I have 3 novels and everything i've ever written on that harddrive, as well as countless irreplaceable photos.

I would have these folks at the computer shop back up YOUR WHOLE HARD DRIVE to some other media, like DVD or a computer on their shop network, replace the board with whatever, and copy all that info back to your new install of Windows(if they have to do it that way because they couldn't find an acceptable replacement motherboard) to a folder and make a shortcut on the desktop to that folder.

That's what I do when I have a client that I have to wipe their drive and reinstall the operating system.

I don't think you're stupid, just didn't get the backup done.  I know you'll learn from this experience and do backups faithfully from now on, right...right? ;)

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 12:29:09 PM »
    Okay, cool.  And yes, my boyfriend, who I live with, and who's computer i'm on right now is our other source, however we both don't know if you can mount another harddrive onto it.  How can you tell?

Thanks a ton!
    Mandy

First of all, you need to know if there is still room for another IDE device inside the case.

You can have up to 4 IDE devices in one computer (CD-ROM and Hard Disk Drives are usually IDE devices). Inspect the IDE cable to see if you can add any devices. IDE cables are usually yellow and rubber-like or grey (And perhaps rubber-like) and flat

Once you've established that you can add another hard disk drive to your PC you should check to see if the device on the IDE cable you decide on using is either Master or slave (If it is the only device, it is Master) and then you have to set your the Hard Drive you intend on adding to Slave by using the Jumper that is located on the back of the drive.

If you have come this far, come back and I'll explain the next few steps.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 12:30:43 PM by Raptor »

jerkbutt

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 12:30:05 PM »
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the advice and explaining things in a way so I actually understand it!  I'll be sure to insist they save my stuff.  The guy is calling me back around noon to let me know if they can track down the appropriate motherboard, so i'll let him know then.  

Thanks again,
    Mandy

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 12:43:47 PM »
      emachines arent know for their hardware so dont be surprised if other hardware start to fail..

jerkbutt

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 02:15:13 PM »
      Hey guys,

I just thought i'd thank you all for your help and calming words.  The people at the computer place secured all my studd onto cd's so that I may put it into whatever new computer I get.  My old one seems to be un-salvagable, at least in the sense that it would cost more money to fix than it is worth.

Thanks again you guys, your all so nice on here.

-Mandy

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
        « Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »
        your welcome

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 03:11:41 PM »
        Good to hear, come back anytime.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 07:04:34 PM »
          Ditto Raptor & unlovedwarrior

Alan <><  ;D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!