Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop errors  (Read 3220 times)

Raptor

Laptop errors
« on: September 27, 2006, 07:28:31 AM »
I have a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop with a 300Mhz Intel Pentium II processor, 128MB RAM and an IBM 3.2HDD.

When I do a quick-test (This can be done in the BIOS) I get the following errors:

1. Error 103-06 Failed DMA Controller test
2. Error 107-02 Failed CMOS RAM test Extended Non-volatile memory failed

Could someone explain to me what it means? It doesn't seem to be interfering with anything, although I can't enter the BIOS. (I might have to reinstall it..)

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Raptor

Re: Laptop errors
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 02:17:02 PM »
    Thanks, Alan, but I was hoping for a little more information and a possible solution..

downundersteve

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:44:53 AM »
    hi

re: dma issue: sometimes a motherboard failure, but could be a failure related to an expansion card that uses DMA and may be faulty or misconfigured.

could be bios trouble like you  say, try changing battery & flash your bios to latest version, (back it up first thought)

steve

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:23:50 AM »
    Thanks, Steve. I suppose it's a BIOS issue because I can't even enter it at the moment.

Problem is, it's not the type of BIOS I'm used to. It is a diagnostic partition with BIOS that you have to reformat and install. Guess that'll take some experimenting

downundersteve

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 04:28:03 AM »
    Hi
    Sounds like a simillar system to Dell's.
    The partition is a small area of the HDD set aside for suspend and hybernate info, not for bios info as such.

I don't think you need to re-format this area, indeed a colleague of mine did and had a lot of trouble getting it to work properly.
    I'm pretty sure you can just flash the bios only.
    generally you just boot from a floppy or download an .exe file from compaq's website.

steve

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 04:40:01 AM »
    Much obliged, I'll have a look see soon.