Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook will not connect.  (Read 3047 times)

jameyer81

Outlook will not connect.
« on: September 26, 2006, 02:02:33 PM »
The laptop in question is an HP compaq nx7010.  Running Windows XP Pro service pack 2, Office Pro suite, and Office Project.  Its been sitting in my office for six months not being used.  I don't believe it was connected to the internet before a couple of days ago when I turned it on.  Internet works fine, the company intranet works fine, and accessing Outlook over the web also works.  We have a Microsoft Exchange Server we use as a mail server.  We don't like to use Outlook over the web.  Instead we use Microsoft Office Outlook from our laptops or desktops through our exchange server.  The laptop in question was able to connect to Outlook via the server for a couple of days.  This is at the main office where I was also hardwired to the network.  Today I'm at a remote office and I'm connected wirelessly to the network.  Outlook is not connecting anymore.  It says its trying to connect but ultimately it fails and says disconnected.  I hardwired my laptop into the wall thinking maybe that had something to do with it, but it didn't help.  I can still access the internet, the intranet, and Outlook over the web.  When the connection fails, I get this message: Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004011d): 'The server is not available. Contact your administrator is this condition persists.  

I've been researching this along with my IT department but have come up short on a solution so far.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Outlook will not connect.
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:54:39 AM »
    Can the laptop see the Exchange Server - can you 'ping' the IP / what kind of OS is the server running, Windows 2000 or '03 server / do other people in the remote office have the same problem with their Outlook?

Alan <><  :D

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

jameyer81

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 07:51:18 AM »
    Last night I was back at the main office and connected wirelessly.  Everything worked fine.  I was able to use Outlook to look at my email.  I even connected to the network via an ethernet cable to see if there would be any differance, but there wasn't.  Everything worked.  This morning I'm back at the remote office and experiencing the same problem as before.  I cannot get my email through Outlook.  Outlook tries to connect but ulitmately stays disconnected.

Our server is running Windows Server 2003.  I cannot ping the server because of the firewall in place.  None of the other users are able to ping the server either and have told me thats normal for our company because of the firewall in place.  All other users in the remote office are able to connect to Outlook for their email without a problem.  Some are connected with ethernet cables and some are connected wirelessly.  I have tried connecting with both options.  Everything works except for the Outlook connection.

jameyer81

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:22:58 PM »
    OK, I figured it out.  There was a problem with the certificate.  The rootinstall for the certificate had never been downloaded from our company AD site.  This would explain why the Outlook email would work at the main office (where are exchange server is located) and not the remote office.  I installed the root certificate which only took me about 3 seconds, and now my Outlook works at the remote office.  Problem solved. ;D

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 05:21:47 PM »
      Computer Hope, the net's best self-help website. :D

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner