Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: modem not being recognised - driver needed?  (Read 5673 times)

clara0618

modem not being recognised - driver needed?
« on: October 07, 2006, 08:16:14 AM »
My video display had packed in, so I put my hd in another very similar machine I also had. It worked fine as expected, except it doesn't recognise the modem - it separates it into an unknown PCI audio device and an unknown modem.

If I locate the drivers on another hd that the modem is being recognised on, can I copy them and use them for the hd that does not recognise the modem? (same OS, etc)

I had a supposed professional come in and take a look at this, and he didn't seem to know how to do that - he gave me a bunch of drivers he downloaded and none of them work.

( of course, due to something like Murphy's Law, I am not able to use both hd's - the spare hd bay is slightly too small to use one of them as a slave (awful way of describing that, but it seems to be the term that people use) ........

( the IT guy also left a videocard, to override the video problem, and I do get a display with it but it looks like Windows Safe Mode and seems to be primed for a dual-monitor set-up. I don't really want to mess about with my settings w/o knowing exactly what I'm doing )

Raptor

Re: modem not being recognised - driver needed?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:27:05 AM »
If I locate the drivers on another hd that the modem is being recognised on, can I copy them and use them for the hd that does not recognise the modem? (same OS, etc)

Why not? If the drivers you have are meant for that device and also meant for the OS you're using then there shouldn't be any compatability issues.

clara0618

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 10:46:34 AM »
Yeah, like I'm just going to act like what just happened didn't actually happen.

If I ever figure out what the *censored* is wrong with your types, I'll write a book about it.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 03:48:11 PM »
Yeah, like I'm just going to act like what just happened didn't actually happen.

If I ever figure out what the *censored* is wrong with your types, I'll write a book about it.

Actually, that was written before your little 'outburst'

I don't really care about your book, but if you do ever write one I'd be happy to come and urinate over it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 03:49:36 PM by Raptor »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 04:15:16 PM »
I think Rob's book will sell many more copies.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 05:08:17 PM »
My video display had packed in, so I put my hd in another very similar machine I also had. It worked fine as expected, except it doesn't recognise the modem - it separates it into an unknown PCI audio device and an unknown modem.

I had a supposed professional come in and take a look at this, and he didn't seem to know how to do that - he gave me a bunch of drivers he downloaded and none of them work.

( of course, due to something like Murphy's Law, I am not able to use both hd's - the spare hd bay is slightly too small to use one of them as a slave (awful way of describing that, but it seems to be the term that people use) ........

( the IT guy also left a videocard, to override the video problem, and I do get a display with it but it looks like Windows Safe Mode and seems to be primed for a dual-monitor set-up. I don't really want to mess about with my settings w/o knowing exactly what I'm doing )

This rude person came for help and acted like that.

No wonder the IT guy screwed him.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 05:13:22 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 06:27:53 AM »
Agreed. He's the kind of person who will end up dead and no one wonders why. The equivalent of road rage in cyberspace. Probably too much testosterone and too little grey matter.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 04:06:10 PM »
Agreed. He's the kind of person who will end up dead and no one wonders why. The equivalent of road rage in cyberspace. Probably too much testosterone and too little grey matter.

Rofl!  ;D

I think it was a SHE, by the way. "Clara"

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 05:41:45 PM »
Or a girlie man.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 05:59:32 PM »
Mayhap a Claradactlyl. ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 06:10:32 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 07:01:11 PM »
Or a Claranus.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »
Haha! Stop it, you're killing me. *censored*, I had to laugh and now my ear has depressurized.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 03:54:16 AM »
Haha! Stop it, you're killing me. *censored*, I had to laugh and now my ear has depressurized.

Thank God it was your ear Raptor. :-? ;D

Run the kill!

sneakers

Beginner
    « Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 01:37:49 PM »
    [size=36][/size]LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Case: Logisys Clear Acrylic - CPU: AMD Athlon FX-62 With HyperTransport Technology - RAM: 2GB  - Power Supply: 650 Watt SLI ready - Motherboard: Asus SLI Deluxe  - Graphics Cards: Geforce 7900 GT  - HDD: 2 - 36 GB Raptors     160