Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: random installs corrupted  (Read 2672 times)

Harper

random installs corrupted
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:17:31 PM »
it seems I have a problem with my hdd I am not sure whats wrong I have run spinrite checkdisk and all that and no bad sectors found at all

but lets say I install a game like Ultima Online it will say a file was corrupt and did not match the file in the *.cab ok so I abort and restart and try the install again and this time same error message but a different file

I am about to try the seagates tool diagnostic for my drive (its a seagate drive) but so far no other diagnostic tool has found a problem (Oh and I have just reinstalled windows on it and windows and some other programs have no problem installing)

Harper

Re: random installs corrupted
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 11:54:57 PM »
ok no reported error with the controllers or anything of that nature gets through the quick test just fine and dandy but if I do the full test or file structure test it freezes the computer wont responde it happens on full test at 99% it seems

Harper

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 02:03:37 AM »
oh forgot computer specs

Pentium 4e dual core
Ram 2 gigs
the hard drive is a Seagate model ST3160022ACE 160 GB

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 08:45:29 AM »
Is the Ultima Online CD a copy ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 05:02:14 PM »
Did you diagnose the RAM?

Diagnose the memory (RAM) with the following program:

Windows Memory Diagnostic

This will require you to make a bootable diskette, the diagnostic program will do so for you.

Harper

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 06:05:57 AM »
Thanks so much the other generic memory test I ran did not pick anything up but that one did. My ram was failing every single test so I pulled them out and tried one at a time and found the corrupted of the two. I have sent an rma request to the maker of my ram, I will get the bad one replaced.
Thanks again, I am glad I decided to run that test even though the other system memory tests returned everything fine and dandy. Now the installs work and no crc errors

(*censored* ram stick almost had me fooled into replacing a fully working hdd)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 06:08:36 AM by Harper »

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 07:27:10 AM »
There's another bad one, Raptor.  ;)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:19:32 AM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Harper

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »
oh no it was not a cd at all it was a install I downloaded http://www.uo.com/uoml/downloads.shtml are some download links for it (dont worry its all legal its from the game  owners )

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 04:33:01 PM »
Thanks so much the other generic memory test I ran did not pick anything up but that one did. My ram was failing every single test so I pulled them out and tried one at a time and found the corrupted of the two. I have sent an rma request to the maker of my ram, I will get the bad one replaced.
Thanks again, I am glad I decided to run that test even though the other system memory tests returned everything fine and dandy. Now the installs work and no crc errors

(*censored* ram stick almost had me fooled into replacing a fully working hdd)

No problem.

The thing with diagnostic software is just that, it is software. Which means it has to be loaded into the memory to function. But what if the memory is bad?