Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Botched ICA Client Installation Causing Freeze UP  (Read 2584 times)

RJSonny

Botched ICA Client Installation Causing Freeze UP
« on: October 20, 2006, 09:47:53 AM »
Hello,

If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it.  My Wife and I just purchased a new Compaq Computer approx 2 months ago.  She wanted to log into her work network from our home computer, but apparently needed an ICA Client to do so.   I think something happened during the installation of this ICA client which caused it to unsuccessfully install.  Ever since, our computer freezes up after about 10 seconds after startup.  The first thing I did was removed the ICA Client from the Add/Remove Programs...but I noticed the same problem.  When I ran a search on my computer for all items containing ICA...I was surprised to find that several items were found in various places, even after I had removed the program.  I didn't want to start deleting stuff without knowing for sure what I was doing.  

I think what is happening, is there are still components of this ICA Client whcih are trying to install on our computer, but in doing so, they are causing the computer to freeze up.

In the meantime, what I did was went into the System Configuration Utility and changed the settings from Normal Startup to Selective Startup and De-Selected the "Load Startup Items" option.   Even to do this...I had to be very quick, because after approx 10 seconds the computer freezes up .  But this is only a temporary fix and I would like to get all of the components of this ICA client off my computer so that it doesn't freeze up in normal startup anymore.

Any advice on how to correct this ?

Thanks

Reid

Raptor

Re: Botched ICA Client Installation Causing Freeze
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 10:29:46 AM »
In the meantime, what I did was went into the System Configuration Utility and changed the settings from Normal Startup to Selective Startup and De-Selected the "Load Startup Items" option

That doesn't quite work.

You should go into safe mode and manually remove any entries related to this program. Are you sure you fully uninstalled it? You should look for rogue parts in the following areas:

• Start -> Run -> Services.msc
  • Start -> Run -> Regedit

Don't disable or remove anything unless you're absoutely sure it belongs to the program.

Download CrapCleaner and make certain no entries remain in the start-up list. Also run the registry cleaner