Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: spoofing  (Read 3552 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

spoofing
    « on: October 22, 2006, 05:45:55 PM »
    I'm not sure if I have the right section but here's my query -

I just clicked on to Computer Hope's help section and entered the details of my request - when I click enter I got the following: "ALERT!. Form spoofing detected coming from IP address......(quoting a no. which is not my IP address no.).".

I've had the same message (not sure about the number) a few times before, in similar circumstances. What is "spoofing" and why should I get this message?

Raptor

Re: spoofing
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 05:55:01 PM »
    Are you connected to the Internet through a proxy?

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 06:04:55 PM »
      I don't think so - my ISP is AOL, and as far as I know I'm connected directly to them, but I'm uncertain about what proxy connection really means.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 06:54:50 PM »
      Check your Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN-settings

Does it have a proxy enabled?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 09:23:26 PM »
      And we would be remiss to not ask what malware protection you are using.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 04:37:49 AM »
        I have checked what settings I could - AOL doesn't seem to have any direct info on LAN settings.

IE has "automatically detect settings" ticked, and Firefox, the browser I almost always use, has "direct connection to internet" ticked, and "proxy server" unticked.

I have AOL spyware, also CCleaner, Ewido antimalware and ZoneLabs antispyware, all regularly run and updated.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 04:39:19 PM »
          Further to previous info I now realise that the "alert" message seems to occur only when I try to access Computer Hope Free Help page section 2: Search Forums.  Would this be particular to, or originate, from Computer Hope?