Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need to import outlook xp to outlook 2002  (Read 2206 times)

bsanborn

need to import outlook xp to outlook 2002
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:24:32 PM »
thanks in advance for the help!
I have my contacts .pst file exported from my old work computer using Office XP - outlook 2003+.
My new work computer is using Outlook 2002 and nary the two shall meet.
is there another utility to change the file I have into a format that Outlook 2002 will accept?
I cannot access the old computer or I would just export into .csv, import into the older version and be done with it.

Anybody help?

pcdoc4christ

Re: need to import outlook xp to outlook 2002
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 01:51:34 PM »
How to import .pst file data into Outlook:

1. On the File menu, click Import And Export. If the menu item is not available, hover your pointer over the chevrons at the bottom of the menu, and then click Import and Export.

2. Click Import from another program or file., and then click Next.  

3. Click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.

4. Type the path and the name of the .pst file that you want to import, and then click Next.

5. Select the folder that you want to import, or select the top of the hierarchy to import everything, and then click Finish.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:51:57 PM by pcdoc4christ »

bsanborn

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 02:58:30 PM »
Exactly-
However, my problem arises because I am trying to go backwards.  The file is from a later version of Outlook than I am trying to import to.  The Errow message is:
...not compatible with this version of the Persoanl Folders information service. Contact your administrator.

NStable1

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »
Here is the long way to do it. It may be a choice you have to use to complete the process. If you have a machine that runs Outlook 2003... you can drag and drop messages to a new folder and move the folder to the new machine (or older machine)and drag and drop the mail back to Outlook 2002. the files are saved as a *.eml extension. Now , that won't pull the address book... but atleast you will have your email.

bsanborn

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »
Oh yah,  I guess I can go through my home computer that is running 2003 and then re-export it into csv.  Duh...  thanks!
Brad

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 09:07:27 AM »
Exactly-
However, my problem arises because I am trying to go backwards.  The file is from a later version of Outlook than I am trying to import to.  The Errow message is:
...not compatible with this version of the Persoanl Folders information service. Contact your administrator.

If BS' suggestion does not fix it, one of these 25 links to the MS site might help:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=HPIC,HPIC:2006-07,HPIC:en&q=%22not+compatible+with+this+version%22+Persoanl+Folders+information+service+site%3amicrosoft%2ecom
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:51:59 PM by pcdoc4christ »