Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I run a Registry Scan?  (Read 2147 times)

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

Should I run a Registry Scan?
    « on: January 25, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »
    My computer is starting to run slow, getting error boxes, and can't open curtain files or attachments in emails. I ran a couple Registry Scans that I found on line and they come up with over 1000 errors or problems. Should I run a registry scan? If so, what registry scan should I run, anyone have any favorites?   Thanks....

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Should I run a Registry Scan?
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 04:21:25 PM »
    wait for an expert to come on

the checks you did only want to sell their product

put down here what security you have

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »
    Don't play registry games! No reason.

Please, post some computer info:
    - processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
    - hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
    - Windows version

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »
    I ran a couple Registry Scans that I found on line and they come up with over 1000 errors or problems.
    What registry scanners are those that you used?  What did you do when you saw the list of errors?  Did you have the scanner delete them or close the scanner without "fixing" the errors?

I'm going to suggest using a certain registry cleaner in the next paragraph, but note that, if you have already damaged your registry due to using other registry cleaners, those problems can not be fixed by using some other registry cleaner.

You need to be very cautious about using registry cleaners.  Here, in the forum, we generally recommend avoiding the use of cleaners due to the risks involved.  However, I would recommend one known to be safe and one often recommended in computing forums.  It's CCleaner, I would definitely use it in your situation.  Go here and get the Slim version; it's free, no donation required.  CCleaner is both a disk/file cleanup  utitlity and a registry cleaner. Run a Windows scan and tell CCleaner to remove all items found.  Before running the scan, look at the scan options in the long list shown on that screen. I believe, by default, the items under Advanced are not selected.  If they are, I suggest you uncheck them for now. 

After the Windows scan, run a Registry scan (select the Registry button on left side of main screen).  When you run the scanner, it will prompt you to backup your registry from that screen.  Do so, and then proceed with the scan and fixing all items found.  Repeat the registry scan; additional items may be found upon repeat scan.