Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LCD backlight works then doesn't  (Read 1763 times)

SignorZ

LCD backlight works then doesn't
« on: November 12, 2006, 12:04:26 PM »
It started last week when after turning back on from sleep mode, the backlight turned on then off. I brought a light to it, and still saw an image so I suspected it was the backlight or power supply.
The next day, I took the case off and looked around a bit on the inside, but came to no solution.
Plugging it in, I found that the backlight worked again, though the picture was a little dark.
Two days later, the backlight again went out after I came back from sleep mode.
I turned it off and left it alone for a few hours. After this, I turned it back on, and the light worked again!
A day later, the same thing happened.

To recap, these are my symptoms:
1. Monitor's backlight does not turn on after coming back from sleep mode.
2. After turning the whole monitor off and letting it rest for a few hours, the backlight will turn on.
3. When the light is on, the picture is noticeably darker, but lightens after a few minutes. The light bleeding through the edges, as well.

It is a Dell E172FP.
I have an Nvidia GeForce 6800, if that matters.

Basically I want to know if this is at all a common problem, or at least a documented one, and any suggestions on what to do.

Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: LCD backlight works then doesn't
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 01:49:54 PM »
If it is, indeed, a problem with the monitor it should be replaced or sent for servicce IF cost effective. There are no user servicable parts, and you can get quite a shock if you open it and poke aroiund.  :o