Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help: recycle bin icon says full, nothing in it.  (Read 2290 times)

goplayrabbit

help: recycle bin icon says full, nothing in it.
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »
this doesn't seem to be a major problem, but.. well, i just noticed it. must've happened last night. i have a sony vaio PCV-V300G - link http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00029YYI8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg. windows XP home edition. pentium 4, 2.8ghZ processor, 480MB ram, etc.

the recycle bin icon indicates there's a file inside. i open it, nothing in the bin. i click restore all items, nothing happens. i click "empty recycle bin" and it asks me do i really want to delete 'WINDOWS'? i guess this is some kind of virus. i can't get the invisible file out, and i can't delete it. any ideas? need more info?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: help: recycle bin icon says full, nothing in i
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:43:55 PM »
Well, you could create a small text file with Notepad and delete it to the Recyle Bin just to get something in there that actually appears when you open it, and then empty your Recyle Bin.  In other, I'm saying this might clear the Recyle Bin of that mysterious item.  
However, the fact that you're getting a message referring to 'WINDOWS' may warrant a more cautious approach here.  What virus protection are you using?  How about spyware removal tools?  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:44:25 PM by soybean »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 03:16:28 PM »
Are you the only user on that machine ? ?
Are you running any Norton/Symantec products ? ?

Instead of using the Recycle bin to view what's in there have you tried Explorer ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

goplayrabbit

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:21:30 PM »
i am the only user. i run norton internet security and antivirus consistently.

i tried the small text suggestion and it worked. "do you want to delete these two items?" i clicked yes, windows didnt' crash. (yay.) i'm guessing it was some kind of virus or spyware.. don't know why norton didn't get it. thanks for the help, soybean & patio.