Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Creating back cd for downloaded software  (Read 3371 times)

elbib908

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Creating back cd for downloaded software
    « on: November 23, 2006, 11:06:25 PM »
    I purchased the download version of InterVideo Home Theater 2. I thought I had created a back up CD. The software worked when I ran the CD. (I think it worked only because the software was still installed.)

When I ran into a problem with it, the tech from InterVideo told me to uninstall then reinstall since I had the CD. So I did. That's when I learned that I must not have done the CD correctly.

How do you create a back up CD for downloaded software?

Thanks.

Sincerely - Kimberli

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Creating back cd for downloaded software
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 12:11:09 AM »
    Generally it's as simple as burning a copy of the downloaded files.  Which burning software did you use and which files are on the cd you burned :-?
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

elbib908

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:48:01 AM »
      I used Sonic RecordNow to burn the CD.

I went to Windows Explorer, my C drive, programs and then added all the Intervideo folders I saw. I also saw a folder in C drive/doc and settings/All Users/start menu. Apparently I must have missed something and/or I'm going about it the wrong way.

The messages that kept coming up when I tried to open the software from the back up CD mainly had to do with locating part of the software with - .exe. A "fix it" box would also come up, but it still was unable to locate the needed information.

The Home Theater Config. and Help opened, but not the TV functions.

This is new to me. I've never backed up anything except for my personal Word/Excel files and pictures/videos.

Hope the above is not too confusing. Sorry if it is.

Sincerely - Kimberli
      « Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 12:49:48 AM by elbib »

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 02:05:18 AM »
      I'm not familiar with your burner or with InterVideo Home Theater but it sounds to me that you have burned some of the installed files not what you downloaded.

After you had downloaded did you install the program(s) or did the installer automatically start.  If the latter then it might be better if you go back to the supplier and ask for a second download for free.

To try to better explain what I'm saying, you have no way of knowing what the installer actually did, how many files it installed and where, and if it added registry entries.  So when you went to C:\Program Files "and then added all the Intervideo folders I saw" you had no way of knowing if you had actually added all the Intervideo folders/files, some of  which may have been installed at other locations.

Best try to explain your problem to the supplier and throw yourself at his/her mercy and if they come to the party watch very carefully what the download does and, if possible, save the downloaded file(s) to a known location from which it/they can be retrieved for burning as backup.

Good luck

elbib908

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 05:30:17 AM »
        OOPS!

I did go to InterVideo and they did let me download, BUT... I let it run and did not save.

I just did a search (on my computer) for all folders/files with Intervideo and it pulled up over 400. I saved the search.

Do you think it's possible to create a back up CD from the search? (I think I can clean out some of the information that is not needed.)

Also, I believe if something does happen again, I'll be able to get another download. If I save it to a CD or folder, will it run correctly being in one location?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely - Kimberli

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 05:44:29 AM »
        I would go straight to a re-download so you are sure you have everything you need. Be sure to finalize the disc when burning. What software are you using?

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 08:24:52 AM »
        I just did a search (on my computer) for all folders/files with Intervideo and it pulled up over 400. I saved the search.

Do you think it's possible to create a back up CD from the search? (I think I can clean out some of the information that is not needed.)
        No, for the reason Dusty mentioned.  A normal program installation makes entries into Windows Registry. You can not do that manually.  So, even it you created all the folders and copied all the files you've found via your search, that most likely would not work.  

Also, I believe if something does happen again, I'll be able to get another download. If I save it to a CD or folder, will it run correctly being in one location?
        You could install it from the CD, not run the program from the CD.  An installation from the CD would install all the necessary folders and files on your hard drive and update Windows Registry.  Then, you would start the program as normal from your Programs menu, desktop shortcut, Quick Launch toolbar, etc.  

elbib908

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 02:58:57 PM »
          Thanks. I'm not comfortable doing a re-download since I just did one.

However, when I do need to re-download...

- Instead of letting it run, save to a specific folder, then burn it to a CD. (Possible dilemma - They allow you to download the trial version. Then you are given a product key to activate the final version. You only have 10 days to use the activation key. This is done after the software is installed. Question - Will this cause a problem? The trial version is fully functional.)

- After the CD is burned - How do I install it? I know how to run it from the CD, but I don't know how to install it.

Thank you all for your advice and assistance!!!!!!!

Sincerely - Kimberli

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 03:11:44 PM »
            elbib908.......  Usually when you D/L something ...you have 2 options ........ RUN or SAVE .......  You must select SAVE ...then save it wherever .......
            Now go to where its saved and you will problably see either a RAR file , a Zipped file or the icon for a installer .......
            Simply burn the file that you downloaded onto a cd using your favourite burning software and you have done it ........ Now when you want to install it ...... put the cd in the cd-rom and either unzip it or if theres a installer included ...just double click the installer and it will install your program. Remove the cd , put it away and your done ........

dl65  ::)
            If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 06:50:25 PM »
            Kimberli - the Genius, Expert and Hacker have arrived to help you so I'll duck out now as their knowledge is superior to mine.

I recommend that you [highlight]always[/highlight] Save downloads to a specific folder.

Good luck

elbib908

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 07:29:34 PM »
              Once again, I thank you all for the help (and patience). I am learning a lot.

I will remember to save instead of allowing it to download.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely - Kimberli