Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mysterious cursor problem  (Read 3834 times)

ZealEmpire

Mysterious cursor problem
« on: November 25, 2006, 02:44:11 PM »
Hey guys right now I have been noticing a problem with my Inspiron 2600 laptop.  When I am in a program like word pad or note pade and I beging typing a message my cursor randomly bounces back and inserts itself right in the middle of where I already typed.  Do you guys have any ideas on why this might be happening?  Any help would be a great thanks.

Windows XP Home
1.06 ghz processor
18.6gb hd
128mbram

ZealEmpire

Re: Mysterious cursor problem
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 11:28:31 PM »
BUMP^^^^

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 12:35:07 AM »
On laptops sometimes this can occur when the touchpad driver has become corrupt. Try re-installing them.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 12:38:13 AM »
Does your computer have the acu-pointer, the eraser head looking thing in between your keys or a nice flat touch pad??

It could be a bad keypad (keyboard) ... Intermittent connection that acts up when typing keys and the pointer rehomes at the center of the screen by your system when it reestablishes connection with the pointing device. :-/

Try leaving your pointer pointed in a corner on empty desktop and start typing like you are typing a report. Does the pointer still go back to center position??? If so, you have an intermittent connection probably...Maybe its just a loose cable inside, otherwise a new keypad could be needed... ;)

Has this laptop taken any abuse, knocks, falls, anything spilled on its keys??? :-?

*** Also... Your laptop could use more Ram, 128MB is bare minimum for XP Home, when it is probably sharing memory with the video GPU. This memory size would not cause the issue though...

ZealEmpire

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 04:00:34 AM »
Thanks alot guys the problem has been fixed.  It just took me ages to locate the touchpad drivers on Dell's site but that turned out to work.   :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 09:16:26 AM »
We Love success stories ! !

Thanx for posting back and stop by anytime.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "