Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Both IE6 and IE7 Fail to Run  (Read 3492 times)

thyde9337

Both IE6 and IE7 Fail to Run
« on: November 27, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »
My problem is this, on my Dell Inspiron laptop, when I click on the Internet Explorer icon the program opens but fails to find the MSN home page and continues searching until I stop it.   I had this problem with IE 6 on my Dell Dimension 4500 in July but, after several attempts to repair IE6,  I downloaded IE7  and the same problem occurred with that program.    When I stopped trying  to open Internet Explorer I got the usual MS message telling me that Internet Explorer was unable to link to the web page I requested, thus I was unable to use IE.   Exactly the same problem now occurs with my Inspiron. neither IE6 nor IE7 will work.    Fortunately I have other browsers that I can use.

I first searched the Dell Forums and found a reference to this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318378

I looked at the pages in the reference in order to try to reinstall Internet Explorer 6 for Windows SP2 and  followed the instructions. But I received the message telling me that the program was set up for automatic updates and no updates were available for my system.     Presumably all the critical updates had been downloaded before the problem with IE arose.      In the three references in the section entitled "Reinstall Windows XP SP2",  I could not find any specific instructions on how to remove the existing IE software and how to reinstall it.   The problem was further discussed in the Dell Forums here:

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=194367

Later, I accidentally solved the problem but I had no idea how it occurred since I had tried several methods to overcome the problem, but I did manage eventually to load IE7  successfully on to my Dell Dimension 4500.

This is the problem that has now occurred on my laptop and I have tried several of the methods to solve the problem that I was advised previously but without success.     Naturally, I do not have IE6 and IE7 installed at the same time.

Has anybody had this problem on their computer?      Was the problem solved?     If so, how?

T.Hyde

My Computer System:

Dimension 4500, 2.53GHz processor, 512Mb DIMM, Windows XP SP2, 20Gb hard disk, 80Gb hard disk, Roxio CD R/RW, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN, Dell Photo All-in-One printer.

Dimension 4100, 1GHz processor, 256Mb SDRAM, Windows ME, 20Gb hard disk, Adaptec CD R/DW, HP Deskjet 840C, Scanjet 3300c, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN

Inspiron 8600, 1.4GHz processor, 512Mb SDRAM, Windows XP SP2, 40Gb hard disk, Philips CDRW/DVD disk drive, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN

Netgear RP614 v2 router.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Both IE6 and IE7 Fail to Run
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:22:34 PM »
The only thing I can think of, is either to check your ethernet connection (also be sure to check Crossover cable for any defects it may have) if using broadband, (If you've never had dial-up skip this) or to check you connection properties to make sure you are not trying to dial default connection. If in connection properties it says something other than "Never dial a connection" than IE will not load correctly and at the top where the title of the page is it will say [Working Offline]. If using wireless internet be sure to check the WEP key or what ever encryption you are using to match up with you router. Hope this helps  ;).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:08:46 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 07:05:08 PM »
    thyde9337.....  You post is a little confusing . You start talking about one machine and then factor in a second one and then a third is mentioned.
    How about stating with one and lets see if we can get that one sorted out .
    You connect to the net via a router and a cable modem.
    Does this machine connect to the net ok ?
    Are you able to send and receive Email ok ?
    You have XP/SP2 installed .  Do you have all the available updates installed.
    Do you have IE6 or IE7 installed?

let us know.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 06:40:52 AM »
    Where's Raptor's post about resetting IE?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »
      1. Start
      2. Settings
      3. Control Panel
      4. Internet Options
      5. Security tab
      6. Reset all 4 security zones to Default

1. Start
      2. Settings
      3. Control Panel
      4. Internet Options
      5. Privacy
      6. Restore 1 Default button

1. Start
      2. Settings
      3. Control Panel
      4. Internet Options
      5. Advanced
      6. Restore 1 Default button

You may need to do the following as well

1. Start
      2. Settings
      3. Control Panel
      4. Internet Options
      5. General tab
      6. Remove cookies, temporary files and history

Kudos to Raptor.

I expect that your IE start pages have been hijacked and the page you're being redirected to no longer exists.
      So.....
      Panda Activescan
      Ewido/AVG Online Scan
      « Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 12:33:36 PM by Fed »