Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer all of a sudden won't detect my cd rom.  (Read 1924 times)

vitor8484

Computer all of a sudden won't detect my cd rom.
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:23:44 PM »
I opened my case and took the cable off one of my cd-roms and put it on a friends Hard drive. The computer started up fine and it detected the new HD fine. Then it didn't detected the any of my cd-rom drives. and know it won't detect the New HD either. Then what a did was take the new HD out and put everthing back the way it was, and it still will not detect any of the disk drives. It will only detect my priginal HD which is a Serial ATA HDD. When I go into BIOS, in the boot sequence, it says that my cd-rom is not present, and there is nothing I can do to make it say that it is present. I am sure that it is there the exact way that it was before I put the other HDD in.
    I don't know what this could be. I thought that it might be a Virus or a problem with the IDE cable. The drives open and close fine, they just don't read any cd I put in them, and in BIOS it says that they are no present!
  Thanks for ur help.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Computer all of a sudden won't detect my cd ro
    « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:44:36 PM »
    you might want to put this in the hardware section... this is the virus section and even though the ppl here in the section know hardware youll most likely get a faster and better reply if you move it to the hardware section.

unlovedwarrior

MrMark

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
    So you tried to Swap the cables with the HD that is working? and maked shure its not the cables?
    Might it be that you wired it up wrong and fried somthing?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 07:31:40 PM »
    Try that drive in another machine to see where the problem really is.