Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Totally dead  (Read 2479 times)

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Totally dead
    « on: January 05, 2007, 01:02:55 PM »
    Yesterday after lunch I went to get back on my computer but it was froze, the mouse would move but I could not click on anything. No ctlr alt del would not work, pushed the power button to shut it off and logged back in on safe mode. Restored the PC to a previous date, this seemed to work fine. Until today the PC was working fine until after lunch again. This time however I cannot get do anything in safe mode. Any suggestions, I find the help on this site very good.
    Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Totally dead
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 01:10:48 PM »
    Post much more info on your OS, machine and what happened prior and someone will be along shortly to assist...

Welcome Aboard.

patio.  8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »
      Intel Pentium- 4 2.26GHz CPU with 533 FSB and 512KB advanced cache (northwood)
      ASUS P4S533 DDR, 533FSB Mainboard, 4XAGP,6 PCI, 4 USB Ports. ATA-133 IDE
      512MB PC2700 DDR KINGSTON MEMORY, 80 GIG IBM ATA-100 7200RPM 2MB Cache
      64MB ATI Radeon 7000 with tv-out, 40 x12 x48 x cd writer, 16 x 48 dvd rom drive,  1.44 mb floppy
      antec 350 watt gaming case with 3 fans. Window XP operating ,stem.[/b][/b]

Prior to  the problem the computer was working fine, I had a 30 min lunchand when I went back to open some programs the computer would not respond, just the mouse pointer would move.

Nancy_O

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »
      Maybe you should stop eating lunch!  Only kiddin' It seems that the problem could have something to do with when your computer when it goes into standby mode.  When this happened did you turn off the computer and try again?

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »
        Yes, I even went into safe mode and restored the computer to a prior date. I also have been noticed my hard drive is become noisey, you can hear it runniing and working. It freezes up in safe mode as well now.  Nancy I could always each lunch at my desk, and keep working on the computer. NOT

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 07:59:21 AM »
        DLoad and run the HDD diagnostics from the manuf. site and run them...start backing up your data you don't have much time.

patio.   8-)

Spawn28

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 06:21:22 PM »
        I had a computer that was doing that, only thing I could do was ctrl alt delete, found out their was  virus on it that kept randomizing a 'name'.exe every time I would end it a new proccess would come up as sdasdfsdgf.exe.
        So I just formatted it...
        But seeing as ur ctrl alt delete doesnt work, I have no clue.
        If you got nothing important on it, easist thing to do, is format it.
        « Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 06:22:25 PM by Spawn28 »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 08:45:53 AM »
        Guru,
        Can I hook up a  new HD in the computer and transfer the data, I am using my MAC notebook because I cannot get the PC up and running it works for about 1 min then freezes.

Another HDD in the broke machine will not fix things if this is a hardware issue...it will exhibit the same symptoms as before...hook up the drive with the data you want to save into another Windows machine...not a MAC preferably with a burner and retrieve your data...

Then run the HDD diagnostics on that drive to see if it is the culprit.

Save your data first ! If it is in fact the HDD going south every time you use it you risk it failing altogether...

patio.  8-)