Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: remove program  (Read 4607 times)

paul

remove program
« on: January 14, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »
hi, i recently downloaded an antivirus program shareware,from NORMAN.COM.(not norton)i didnt like it so i tried to remove it from add/remove programs nothing happend?so i went to my computer c:/docu-settings/paul.
and it was in the list,i tried to delete it there a pop up said access c:norman denied? so i read how to delete it from the regedit,which i did.
today it is still in my computer c:doc-sett/paul,so i downloaded add/removecleaner.exe from (intelli admin.com) it was in the list of programs so i deleted it and it went. i looked back in my computer c:documents-settings/paul. its still there access denied??(maliciuos spy virus??) can anyone help....sorry for long post...
thankyou for your time..p

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: remove program
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »
    It sounds like what you downloaded isn't really an anti-virus at all. Either that, or the worst program ever written.

If you reboot into Safe Mode (how to do that depends on your operating system), it should be possible to remove it. "Access Denied" is usually an error given if the folder or file is being used by the system.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

paul

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 08:08:26 AM »
    hi,dilbert. thanks for your time.
    ill try safe mode and let you know how i got on.
    cheers........

paul

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:06:08 AM »
    hi,dilbert. thanks for your time.
    ill try safe mode and let you know how i got on.
    cheers........
    hi,Dilbert ive tried safe mode and it says access denied can not delete bin,
    norman write protected or in use???in the properties list it is read only i could not change this(still in safe mode)i will end up rebooting from install
    cd and wipe the disc clean cause i dont know if it is hacker getting my bank details...cheers..........(unless theres another way)

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 11:44:38 AM »
      Oh, I'm not done with this yet. Slippery program, this one... :) Perhaps the prompt can help with this one:

Start > Run
      Type "CMD" (no quotes) and click OK.
      Type the following commands:

cd \
      cd Program Files\Norman  (<-- Replace "Norman" with the name of the folder that has Norman in it)
      attrib -r -a -s *.* /s /d
      del *.*

Let me know if that works. :)

paul

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »
      Oh, I'm not done with this yet. Slippery program, this one... :) Perhaps the prompt can help with this one:

Start > Run
      Type "CMD" (no quotes) and click OK.
      Type the following commands:

cd \
      cd Program Files\Norman  (<-- Replace "Norman" with the name of the folder that has Norman in it)
      attrib -r -a -s *.* /s /d
      del *.*

Let me know if that works. :)
      hello,Dilbert i tried the cmd prompt (if i did it properly( NOVICE) it said system can not find the patch specified? i found this,if it helps.Norman css MIB file unknown?
      i appreciate your help but i dont want to do your head in,do you think it is a hacker?if so ill wipe the disk clean.

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:10:55 PM »
        I don't think it's a hacker. I do, however, think that we've got a really stubborn program, here. I've got one last thing to try.

Download a free program called Ccleaner from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Run it, and go to the button marked "Tools". Find the Norman program, and click "Run Uninstaller". Then click on "Issues" and run a scan.

paul

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 02:01:27 AM »
        I don't think it's a hacker. I do, however, think that we've got a really stubborn program, here. I've got one last thing to try.

Download a free program called Ccleaner from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Run it, and go to the button marked "Tools". Find the Norman program, and click "Run Uninstaller". Then click on "Issues" and run a scan.

hi,Dilbert.thanks for the ccleaner..last night i wiped the disc (saved my stuff to cd)up all night,,
        many thanks for your time on this one,at least ive found a good help forum!!!cheers p

lana

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 04:11:56 PM »

Hi ...I downloaded this program before but didnt use it because I didnt know if it was safe to. After you run analyze...do you just click on run cleaner and let it remove all that is listed? or do you have to go through the list and make sure its not deleting anything important...because I have no idea what all those things mean.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 04:22:07 AM »
        Hi ...I downloaded this program before [highlight]but didnt use it because I didnt know if it was safe to.[/highlight] After you run analyze...do you just click on run cleaner and let it remove all that is listed? or do you have to go through the list and make sure its not deleting anything important...because I have no idea what all those things mean.

Surely it is safer than what you DID download.  ;)

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 03:18:24 PM »

Hi ...I downloaded this program before but didnt use it because I didnt know if it was safe to. After you run analyze...do you just click on run cleaner and let it remove all that is listed? or do you have to go through the list and make sure its not deleting anything important...because I have no idea what all those things mean.

Hello lana.  Yes, click on Run to allow CCleaner to delete the items listed.  I have never heard of any problems using CCleaner & regularly use it myself.  Perhaps you could note a few items and do some investigating as to their use, just for interest sake.

However there are no 100% guarantees with anything.

Good luck
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.