Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTUSER.DAT  (Read 2388 times)

Linkincubus

NTUSER.DAT
« on: January 14, 2007, 01:17:40 PM »
I posted this in the Hardware section, and wasn't sure if it would be better answered here:

EDIT : So I ran Trojan Remover and accidentally removed something I don't think I should have :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT

My computer restarted and my desktop background was gone, and eveything looked a bit different.  For example on the start menu, the whole left side of the panel is now blank, the minize/maximize/close buttons are about 2 x smaller.  It won't let me set a picture for my desktop background, not even by right clicking a pic off the web.  It forgot my default homepage, and webpages seem to take much longer to load, youtube videos not showing up.   I tried a System Restore a few times, and although it brought the computer back to earlier times, before the great mistake, it didn't fix the problem.

If it's part of the registry that's been deleted, isn't there a CD I can insert, a program from the net I can download, or anything I can do to get it back?  

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: NTUSER.DAT
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:19:55 PM »
It may have been better off here, or in Windows, but the main thread is in the hardware section now, including the answers you've got.
So keep with that thread instead of making new ones.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:22:14 PM by Calum »

GX1_Man

Re: NTUSER.DAT
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:23:22 PM »
Thread locked here.  ;)