Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Radeon fails to install  (Read 9299 times)

fly

Re: Radeon fails to install
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »
No i put it in computer installed the driver and it asked me to reboot so that it could do the tests so then i rebooted and before i reached desktop screen i got this error message

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\Documents and settings\Network\Services\local settings\desktop.ini. The data has been lost. this error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection please try to save the file elsewhere.

and in reply to Raptor when i open the desktop.ini file using notepad i dont see anything there

merlin_2

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 04:28:24 PM »
this sounds crazy i am like that but hit the f8 on boot and chose the last good config...it may force winxp to use your graphics card....give it a go...this should also force winxp to use the drivers it has....and force winxp to sort out irq problem if it has any...<backward->forwards thinking>

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2004, 11:21:43 PM »
You can try adding to the Desktop.ini what I have quoted. But I'd back up important files first if I were you..

fly

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2004, 12:13:22 PM »
Can i just ask one more thing on this subject, What will happen if i delete the Desktop.ini will windows create another in its place. Raptor how do i make a Desktop.ini using notepad this may work as somone else suggested i do the same thing
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 12:22:57 PM by fly »

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2004, 12:22:41 PM »
I wouldn't bet on it.

Should you remove the file (You can move it to another location and rename it, to be safe) make backups of (important) files before you do so.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 12:24:54 PM by Raptor »

fly

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2004, 12:24:48 PM »
how do i make a new desktop.ini using notepad

Raptor

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2004, 12:28:10 PM »
Insert the information I quoted

[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-21774

Be warned, this may be personalized per Windows and could mess up your PC severly.. Perhaps you should do a few Google

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2004, 12:29:52 PM »
Insert the information I quoted

[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-21774

Be warned, this may be personalized per Windows and could severly cause some serious chaos, knowing Windows.. .
Perhaps you should do a few Google searches on Desktop.ini or copy the entire error.

Should you decide continue, copy the information (Without the quote label) and paste it into a Notepad file. Press Save as and type Desktop.ini in the 'Save as' bar.

fly

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2004, 01:31:05 PM »
Raptor is there anyway i can change the path abit that the file is save to, its just i have tried to follow this path and after documents and settings i dont see anything saying Network. i just have folders that say Administrator, All users, Default user, and fly folder what i named my computer. at the momment when i try to install the card it asks to save it to this path below, But like i say after documents and setting in windows i dont see any folder saying Network.

C:\Documents and setting\Network\services\local settings\desktop.ini
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 01:50:10 PM by fly »

Raptor

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2004, 02:26:01 PM »
What do you mean by

it asks to save it to this path below

What exactly are you trying to save?

Do the Radeon drivers refuse to install?

fly

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2004, 02:43:06 PM »
when installing the radeon drivers i am given an automatic path where i want the drivers installed this is the path    (
C:\Documents and setting\Network\services\local settings\desktop.ini ) and the drivers fail to work using this path.

But when i restore my computer to how it was before i installed  the radeon this path doesnt fully exsist. i have double clicked on my computer then on the C: drive then Documents and setting but after that i dont see the Network folder. So i was asking is there another path i could use that you could suggest.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 02:45:59 PM by fly »

Raptor

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2004, 02:59:46 PM »
Why not create another temporary folder?

What kind of drivers are you attempting to install?

You should install them under Program Files for easy reference should you ever need to access them..

merlin_2

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2004, 12:41:13 PM »

fly

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2004, 01:31:58 PM »
Ok guys thanks for all your help but i got sick of the Radeon and bought a Geforce FX 5900. I had no problems installing this card, i wont be buying a Radeon again.  :)