Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registry  (Read 2306 times)

donsor

Registry
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:50:10 PM »
What does it do? The REGEDIT lists a whole bunch of statements. What does registry cleaners do. If I load a software such as Flight Simulator FSX, will it show in the REGEDIT list?

Donsor

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Registry
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 01:29:49 PM »
    donsor .....  Regedit ....... is the dialogue ( text) you enter in the run box to view the registry.

What does registry cleaners do
     They clean the registry , as the name implies.

What does it do?
    .....  Please go to this link ..... http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If I load a software such as Flight Simulator FSX, will it show in the REGEDIT list?
    ........  yes , in fact, there will be a number of entries relating to that software .

[highlight]A word of caution [/highlight]....... DO NOT PLAY AROUND IN THE REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING ...... or you may end up with a doorstop instead of a computer.

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:30:38 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:34:52 PM »
    Mainly, Registry cleaners remove remnants of uninstalled programs that remain after a program is uninstalled.  Such remnants are often left in the Registry and create clutter in it.  Registry cleaners can help keep your system running at it's best performance but they can also cause problems by removing something that should not be removed.  

One cleaner that's often recommended here and in other forums is CCleaner.  It's really a disk cleanup tool which also does some Registry cleaning.  The Registry cleaning is accomplished by running it's Issues scan.  CCleaner is safe to use, as can be attested to by many members of this forum.

Yes, you should expect to see some entries in your Registry after installing Flight Simulator FSX, just as you would other programs.  

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 06:05:26 AM by soybean »

donsor

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:37:41 PM »
    Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I brought up the subject because I play a lot of flight simulator games such as Flight Simulaotr FSX. I decided to load the Abacu Add-on Flight Deck 4 and during the Scenery Setup, it kept telling me that it is unable to find the FSX in the Window Registry. It has to be there as I've been playing with the game since it came out. In REGEDIT, I scanned down but was unable to find FSX but that maybe because I don't know what to look for among the hundreds of statements in it.

Donsor

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:09:19 AM »
    The regedit Registry Editor has a Find function.  That's the best way to search for something in the registry.  Go to the Edit menu on the Registry Editor toolbar and select Find from the menu or use Ctrl/F to start Find.

Sounds to me like you may need to uninstall and then reinstall the game to resolved this problem.

donsor

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 10:27:05 PM »
    Did that a few times. Thinking that perhaps something was wrong with the CD, Abacus allowed me to download a new copy of the game. After I installed it it's now working somewhat but not as it should. I have a feeling that perhaps the problem is because the OS is in a different drive.

Donsor