Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with copy  (Read 3525 times)

v337193

Need help with copy
« on: February 16, 2007, 06:52:36 AM »
Greetings all.  This is my first post here.  I was unable to find an answer in previous posts.  I basically do not know anything about DOS, but I have managed, by extensive trial and error, to create a batch file, Install.bat, to copy an Access database from a share drive to my local desktop as follows:

COPY /Y \\106.102.5.44\fttpva_shared\FTTP.adp "c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop" /v

The only way I could get it to work is by putting "" around the destination.  It works fine, and I can immediately open the file by clicking on it once it is intalled.  I also have another batch file, decompile.bat, to decompile and open FTTP.adp as follows:

c:windows /decompile c:\documents and settings\all users\
start/max fttp.adp

If the FTTP.adp file is installed on my desktop by opening the share drive and right clicking and pasting it on my desktop decompile.bat works fine and opens the file.  When FTTP.adp is installed via my Install.bat, however, I get the error message:

"Windows can not find 'fttp.adp'.  Make sure you typed the name correctly then try again, blah, blah, blah."  

If I go into explorer the file is right there as it should be in c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop, so why can't windows find it? Am I missing something?  I am using XP service pack 2, but some of my users have older computers.  My goal is to create a simple batch file that will overwrite their local copy of our database frontend if they already have it, or install it if they do not, then open it.  I want to get away from having to email it out everytime I have to make an update to it.  It seems like I am missing something so simple.  Any ideas?  Thank you in advance.

derekgk

Re: Need help with copy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 07:36:44 AM »
I am new to this too but quotes around the file name would seem useful. I think the blanks between documents and settings are throwing it
good luck

v337193

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 08:52:22 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I thought that also and already tried, but it does not work, or explain why decompile.bat works when I copy and paste the file on my desktop but not when installed with install.bat.  I have been searching for dos copy on google all morning, and I can not see any reason why my decompile.bat does not work.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 02:50:48 PM »
Well the paths are totally different. Try changing the...

Code: [Select]
c:\documents and settings\all users\start\max fttp.adp
to...

Code: [Select]
C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\fttp.adp
If it still doesn't work post back.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:51:36 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.