Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Outlook help needed - will pay!  (Read 3593 times)

torontojeff

MS Outlook help needed - will pay!
« on: March 08, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »
Im desperate to find out if this is possible in Outlook 2003.  I have a folder full of emails, and I need to export a list of the email addresses from the emails in the folder, without copying and pasting one by one.  It can export to almost any type of file and I'll be happy.  if someone can help me with this problem, I'm willing to pay the $49 that Microsoft support would have offered.  private message me. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:43:12 PM by torontojeff »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: MS Outlook help needed - will pay!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 01:40:38 PM »
You could try this...keep in mind i don't use Outlook.
Open Outlook.
Open the Inbox.
From the Edit menu choose select all and then right click the highlight area,choose add to address book.
You should then have all the addresses from your Inbox in your address book.
You can then select to Export that list.
You might want to create a temporary address book for this project that you can refer to later....

No Charge.

And it's probably best not to post an e-mail addy in a public Forum unless you are short on *censored* and phoney Rolex watches...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:45:15 PM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

torontojeff

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 01:45:01 PM »
Thanks for the help (and the good advice).  where do i find "add to address book" after I select all? thanks again

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »
Sorry just edited my post....right click the highlighted group of messages and you should see the add to address book option...

torontojeff

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 01:47:45 PM »
i tried that first, and dont see an "add to address book" option on the right click menu...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
Under tools.

torontojeff

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 01:56:20 PM »
maybe were using different versions...i have "address books" under Tools, but i dont have a command for "add to address books"..sorry for being a pain

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 02:02:41 PM »
My apologies...i was in Outlook Express which for some reason was labled Outlook in Program Files...don't have Outlook installed.
Be patient...someone should be along shortly.
Or if you have Express you could try opening your Outlook account there...

And you're not being a pain.
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:03:35 PM by patio »

torontojeff

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 02:09:18 PM »
Well, i exported the folder to Outlook Express, and I now have the option to add each individual email to address book, but I cant seem to be able to add the entire selected folder to address book...but w'ere getting closer!  any ideas now that Im in Express?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 03:38:21 PM »
Not for $49, no!

Perhaps ask this question in the programming forum.  One of the VBA programmers might be able to answer this question for you.  It is certainly possible to do this with a macro, but I'm not personally fluent enough in VBA to knock up that kind of solution quickly.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 08:48:43 AM »
    try this
    (got straight from outlook help add address book)

to add an address book

On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
    Under Directory, click Add a new directory or address book, and then click Next.
    To add the type of address book you want, do one of the following:
    Add an address book using an Internet directory service (LDAP)

Click Internet directory service (LDAP), and then click Next.
    In the Server name box, type the name of the server your Internet service provider or system administrator gave you.
    If the server you specified is password protected, select the This server requires me to log on check box, and then type your user name and password.
    Click More Settings.
    Under Display Name, type the name for the LDAP address book that you want to be displayed in the Show names from the list in the Address Book dialog box.
    Under Connection Details, type in the port number provided to you by your internet service provider (ISP) or system administrator.
    Click the Search tab, and then change the server settings as needed.
    The search time-out setting specifies the number of seconds Microsoft Outlook spends searching the LDAP directory to resolve names in a message. You can also limit the number of names listed in the Address Book after a successful search on a name.

Under Search Options, if the Search base box is not filled in, type the distinguished names provided for you by your administrator.
    Click OK, click Next, and then click Finish.
    Add an additional address book

Click Additional address books.
    Click the address book you want to add, and then click Next.
    Note  You must exit and restart Outlook to use the added address book.

i couldnt find out how to add more than one address at a time srry do what rob said though

unlovedwarrior
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 08:49:38 AM by unlovedwarrior »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 08:59:51 AM »
    Im desperate to find out if this is possible in Outlook 2003.  I have a folder full of emails, and I need to export a list of the email addresses from the emails in the folder, without copying and pasting one by one.  [highlight]It can export[/highlight] to almost any type of file and I'll be happy.  if someone can help me with this problem, I'm willing to pay the $49 that Microsoft support would have offered.  private message me. Thanks!
    Are you saying you can export from this "folder"?  OK, export to a CSV file and then import that into Outlook.  

Saviour

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 06:55:03 PM »
    Jeff...

I'm not sure if this will help you at all, however, I'm going to give it a shot.

I am familiar with Outlook 2000 and not 2003, but the process may, in fact be the same.

I know you copied the folder to Outlook Express, but hopefully you still have it in Outlook 2003.

Remember these instructions are for Outlook 2000...hopefully they apply, as well, to 2003.

1)  Go to the folder in question...you should see all the email from this folder on your right.
    2)  From the Outlook toolbar, click "Edit" and then "Select All".
    3)  All of the email should be highlighted.
    4)  From the Outlook tool bar, click "File" and then "Import and Export...".
    5)  You should see a new window appear.
    6)  Where it says "Choose an action to perform:", select "Export to a file" and click the "Next" button.
    7)  In the next window under "Create a file of type:", select "Comma Separated Values (Windows)" and click the "Next" button.
    8)  In the next window under "Select folder to export from:", select the folder in question you want to copy the email addresses from and click the "Next" button.
    9)  In the next window under "Save exported file as:", click the "Browse" button and from the "Save In:" box, choose your desktop.
    10)  In this same window, go down to the "File name:" box and type the name you want to give this file, making sure the box underneath it also states "Comma Separated Values (Windows)" and then click the "OK" button.
    11)  You will return to the previous window and will click the "Next" button.
    12)  In the next window, make sure under "The following actions will be performed:", that it says "Export 'E-Mail messages' from the 'folder in question' folder" and that option box is checked.
    13)  Once it is checked...you will need to Map the Custom Fields you want to export.
    14)  From what I understand, you just want to copy the email addresses, but you can choose more fields if you want.  There are two columns...basically, what we want to end up with is just the info we want to export in the right column...not the left.  Lets say you just want the email address...drag the fields you don't want from the right column to the left column so we end up with "From:  (Address)" in the right column.  Again, you can leave as many fields as you want here, that's up to you.
    15)  Once you are done selecting the fields you want to include in the export file, click the "OK" button.
    16)  You will return to the "Export to a File" window...just click the "Finish" button.

The exported file will be saved to your desktop...do you remember what you named it?

That's all there is to it.

I hope you found this information useful...GOOD LUCK!  Please keep us posted.