Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad news after safe mode  (Read 2848 times)

buxton bob

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Bad news after safe mode
    « on: March 13, 2007, 05:11:55 AM »
    I booted into safe mode last night and ran avg virus program.Nothing was found so i shut down and went to bed.This morning when the computer was booted back up it said to press F1 or something else to enter set up.When Windows came on i got this.
    Windows registry recovery.One of the files containing systems registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy.The recovery was successful.Then there is Microsoft Windows --the system has recovered from a serious error.BCCode 1000008e plus a few more.Also i get the hardware wizzard telling me to install Raid controller.I've got no idea what this is.I went to add and remove programs to see what Raid was and i got this message.Run DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    App name rundll 32.exe. appver512600 2180
    The computer has been running fine up till now so i guess it has something to do with being in safe mode.
    The system is an Amd Sempron with xp home service pack 2. avg free, spybot , adaware ,ccleaner,windows defender
    I hope someone can help fix this problem .Thanks

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Bad news after safe mode
      « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 10:12:41 PM »
      Does it boot normally (as opposed to SM) / do you have a real Windows cd handy?

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

buxton bob

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 01:15:17 AM »
        Thanks for taking an interest on this subject Allan. I just started up again and it started ok in normal mode .Yes i do have a windows disc that is genuine. The computer has crashed twice today and this hasn't happened since i brought it new 2 years ago.

A new day, and the the problem with the warning from Registry Recovery saying it had to recover data from a log or alternate copy has gone, since I merged back the last issues, ccleaner found.

I can now get into add and remove programs with no trouble.

At start up I still get the message that new hardware has been found and the wizzard wants to find install for Raid controller

I've tried system restore, no difference
        Did a disk check on C, says its ok

I notice now that when i open my computer icon that the torch icon comes up and does a search for 20 seconds before any icons come into view

I hope this helps  Rob

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:19:59 PM by suzuki »

buxton bob

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 10:12:25 AM »
          where are ya alan ? did you ask me those questions for a particular reason?
          one problem i solved by myself but i could do with some advice on the errors i still get.
          anyones help would be appreciated
                                                                rob :D
          « Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:15:55 AM by suzuki »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
            • Obituary
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:31:23 AM »
          Have you tried system restore to an earlier time?
          Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

buxton bob

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 04:55:20 AM »
            yea street1
             I restored just after the problems started.Since then i have had to restore again at least 3 times and the problems just wont go away.
            My main problem now is that when i open a file and select (send to)the computer lags and sometimes crashes.
            I"ve been checking out the topics on formatting and reinstalling xp.
            When i feel confident enough I'll give it a go.I think this is my best option unless you have any other sugestions?
            Also it takes about 20 seconds to open up My Computer folder. It just sits there with torch seaching. Everything else opens up with no probs.
                    catch ya later, :-? Rob

mundesley

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 06:23:23 AM »
            Before you resort to a reformat and reinstall it may be worthwhile to try this:

Goto start/run and type sfc /scannow (note space between c and /), when prompted insert you Windows CD and allow to complete. This restores any missing files from your CD to your windows installation.
            « Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 07:27:36 AM by mundesley »

buxton bob

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 07:42:50 AM »
              Thanks Buscrew
              Will definitely try that before anything else
              Best suggestion I've had yet :)

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 08:13:25 AM »
                Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Bob.  I run a tight ship and sometimes I'm on the forum for only a few minutes.

Take buscrews advice and run sfc.  As a last resort you may have to wipe and reinstall.  I hope thats not the case for you.

Alan <><  :D
                I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

buxton bob

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »
                  Thanks for that Buscrew,

I did what ya said and hoped for a good result but still no good.
                  When trying to get on the net just now the computer would not recognise my modem
                  I had to do a system restore to get it to work for me

When it booted up i get the message (one of the files containing systems registry data had to be recovered ty use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful)
                   This was an earlier problem but dissappeared.

Any thing else I can try? thanks Rob :-?