Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: belkin wireless problems  (Read 9335 times)

merlin_2

Re: belkin wireless problems
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 03:59:57 PM »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 04:20:27 PM »
    billiusthemook....I'm sorry to see that you havent had any luck.....however .....you did have a hijacker ......which by your own words was fixed......AND you were asked to provide the name of the virus which stinger found ......you never gave us that answer or if whatever it was had been successfully removed. Because of the number of trojans and other malicous items which your log showed up Im not surprised that you still have viruses .....Perhaps what you should do is format your hard drives ....reload your O/S .......Go use another pc and D/l ...AVG ...... or you could go out and purchase whatever Anti virus program you like , then install it and now follow the suggestions that a lot of people here have been trying to offer you .

let us know how you make out .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

billiusthemook

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 05:35:55 PM »
    I appreciate the info by 2k dummy.  Is there any kind of relay device that will help me avoid those wireless phones and flourescent lights? (my current pc's location is unchangeable unfortunately)

And thank you to merlin 2 for that trend micro virus searcher... It has found over 604 infected files that none of the other applications found, and of those there are about three different types of trojans and worms... or whatever.  It is still searching and finding new ones as I type, so I'll wait for a later post to list what it found and if it was successful in removal.

dl65... thank you very much for helping me through all this.  Before I go ahead with that formatting though I'm going to wait till I try out this program merlin suggested, then I'll try to download avg and then sp2.  

I appreciate all this help very much.  I'll post again once I've tries all that out.

2k dummy

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 06:46:34 PM »
    Is there any kind of relay device that will help me avoid those wireless phones and flourescent lights? (my current pc's location is unchangeable unfortunately)

You can't avoid them but you can probably overcome them. One option is to get a WAP (wireless access point) that can act as a relay. Another option is to use high gain directional antennas. Or you can use a combination of both.

billiusthemook

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 07:18:17 PM »
    thanks 2k dummy I'll try that out.

Ok... I finished the scan with trend micro and it found about 800 or so items of about 4 different virus types.  They were all deleted.  Once I (finally successfully) downloaded the avg program, I opened the installer and right away the gay virus appeared again.  I updated avg and ran it's virus scan, and it came up with a number of items, and I assume it fixed them because avg didn't allow me to do anything to them.  I then downloaded Service Pack 2, and upon restarting it asked me if I wanted to start in safe or normal mode, and I figured that if I try to virus scan in safe mode maybe it'll get something previously missed.  So I ran avg, it found some things, and again I guess it took care of them because when I selected them and tried to delete them nothing happened. So then I restarted my computer and tried to start in normal mode, but upon loading windows there was a quick flash of blue screen with white letters on it which I couldn't read.

Now I can't start windows unless I'm in safe mode.

I think I did something terribly wrong.

Please tell me what I did and how I might fix it.

{{I'm continuing in this topic because it's a continuous series of events mostly hardware and virus involved.  Tell me if I should start a new topic somewhere else.