Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor/Video Trouble  (Read 2602 times)

Feliath

Monitor/Video Trouble
« on: April 29, 2007, 07:45:52 PM »
OS: Will be Windows XP Home w/ SP2 once I get it installed again
Desktop
Custom built
Mouse: USB, Wacom Pen Tablet
Keyboard: USB, Logitech Media Deluxe
Amount of memory: 2 gig
Motherboard model: don't remember
Video card: GEForce 6800 GT, 256 MB (AGP) and integrated video

Problem:

I recently bought a new 22" widescreen ViewSonic monitor to replace an old CRT clunker. Plugged it into my system and it worked fine for a few days. Then, the problem started. The screen went black and it said "Digital: No signal" and then it went into hibernation mode, you know, where the light turns orange. I turned the computer off and on a few times from the power switch, and then it started working again, but only for a few minutes.

To make a long story short, I somehow ended up shorting out my hard drive, which I have already replaced, but I still have the problem with the monitor. I have tried it on my video card, on the onboard video, with a DVI and the other kind of cable, I've tried my old monitor, my brother's monitor, changing settings in the bios, etc. Nothing works. I am now trying to reinstall windows but after a minute or so the same thing happens: screen goes black etc.

Any idea what's causing this? I don't think it's the monitor, since it works fine when I plug it into my mom's junky little laptop. I also doubt that it is the video card since the same thing happens both with the card and the onboard video.

Could it be the motherboard? *groans* 

I'm getting really frustrated with this...

Raptor

Re: Monitor/Video Trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:03:27 AM »
The problem happens with every monitor you connect to the PC?

Replace your videocard.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:50:57 AM »
    Does your power supply have enough wattage to push the video?  Otherwise, replace the video card.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:57:42 AM »
    Does your power supply have enough wattage to push the video?  Otherwise, replace the video card.

Or, replace the power supply.

Feliath

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:04:43 AM »
    Like I said, I don't think the problem is my video card. The same thing happens when I plug it into the onboard video as when I plug it into the VC.

I hope it's not the vc because I just bought it like 2 months ago and it was pretty expensive.

I have posted a few other places and they have all said it could be the PS as well... my video card needs 350 Watts and the ps is 400 or 450.

I'll probably try replacing the power supply first, then the mobo, and then the video card.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:18:05 AM »
    Well, I agree that the fact that your computer won't work with onboard video seems to indicate it's not the power supply.  However, perhaps the new video card lead to the demise of your power supply and it's now in a general state of failure. 

What make and model power supply is it?  Did you buy it separately or did it come in the computer?  Do you know how much the power supply sold for when new?  Perhaps it's a cheap unit and cheap ones do, indeed, tend to be less reliable. 

I bought this power supply about 3 months ago; not too expensive and has good reviews in newegg.com:  FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN, RoHS, 12cm FAN, version 2.2, 2 SATA, 20+ 4 pin, PCI Express, 400W Power Supply - Retail

Feliath

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 03:53:16 PM »
    Got a new power supply. Still no luck.

This is the one I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817371002

I think I am going to cry.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »
    The good news is that you bought a decent PSU...never consider that a bad investment. We see hundreds of people come thru here that spend hard earned cash on the latest and greatest components and throw in a $20.00 PSU and wonder why there system is screwed up...
    But let's get back to the problem. You stated you managed to fry a HDD and replaced it...What did you replace it with and what steps did you take re-installing everything including the OS ? ? ?

You may be closer to a solution than you think.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "