Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet connection cutting out  (Read 3624 times)

palla

Internet connection cutting out
« on: June 20, 2007, 04:44:48 AM »
Hi all,

New here, and I really hope you can help.

My computer has always been super-reliable, and my high speed modem has never given me problems till now.

My internet connection will just cut out after around half an hour, and the only way for me to get it back is to restart my computer. Re-booting my modem does nothing. This leads me to believe my modem is fine, as the lights are always flashing as normal, yet my explorer will just say "cannot find server". If I am connected to Azureus or Emule when the "cannot find server" happens, they will stay connected until I close them down. Could it be my Internet explorer? I dont have the latest version.

I seem to think it is my network card, given that a PC reboot gets the connection going fine. I use an ethernet cable if that helps, and I have XP. The only change I have made of late was to add RAM which the computer recognised ok. I will try to do a CCleaner, and see if that helps but I doubt it.

Is there any way to see what my network card settings are and what they should be? How easy/hard is it to change it? Is this a common thing with network cards?

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
    Re: Internet connection cutting out
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:37:46 AM »
    Welcome to computerhope.
    What protection do you have? (anti-Virus,anti-spyware, (firewall))
    NO its not hard to see you network card setting just go to control panel -> system -> (shortcut for this Winkey+pause break) hardware tap -> device manager and look for the network card try to update the driver.
    Maybe that will work bit I'm guessing that it will be a virus.

Jonas ;)

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Internet connection cutting out
      « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:24:42 AM »
      One thing you might try this.  Next time you can't get online, go to a command prompt and type    ping 127.0.0.1    This will hit your network card with some packets.  If none of the packets come back the NIC is defective and should be replaced.

Next, post this response when you type    ipconfig /all    from the command prompt. That command will tell you your network settings for the NIC, DHCP, DNS, and other stuff.

BTW - checked with your provider for any changes  ???

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!