Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with computer game troubleshooting stuff  (Read 5001 times)

greg362

Need help with computer game troubleshooting stuff
« on: June 02, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »
everything not in bold is the errors that come up and troubleshooting. I already made sure the hardware acceleration has not been disabled so i dont think thats the problem. When i try playing a game called empire earth or star wars there is a error message that closes up the game in the middle of it. I have no idea how to check if my video adapter supports microsoft drect 3d or how to fix it. The only thing in the book thing i got is warnings and pointless stuff like about the battery. This computer is also pretty new. If anyone know how to fix it please help. thanks for reading :) 

Empire Earth.exe Causes an Error Message in Windows XP
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 318485
Last Review : March 13, 2002
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q318485
SYMPTOMS
When you try to start the Sierra Empire Earth program, you may receive the following error message:
Empire Earth.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you view the data that the error report contains, the following error signature information may be listed:    App name          App version  Module name   Module version  Offset
   ---------------------------------------------------------------------
   Empire Earth.exe  0.0.0.0      engine.dll    0.0.0.0         00006f8e

Back to the top

CAUSE
This issue may be caused by either of the following conditions:
• Your video adapter does not support Microsoft Direct 3D.
• Graphics hardware acceleration has been disabled.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue: 1. Verify that your video adapter supports Direct 3D, and then verify that you are using the most current drivers for your video adapter. For information about how complete both of these tasks, view the documentation that is included with your video adapter. If you are not using the most current drivers for your video adapter, obtain and install newer drivers from your video adapter manufacturer. After you do so, test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
3. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
4. Click the Troubleshoot tab, and then make sure that the Hardware acceleration slider is all the way to the right.
5. Click OK, and then click OK.

Back to the top

greg362

Re: Need help with computer game troubleshooting stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 04:35:29 PM »
oh yah and its an inspiron 1501 laptop

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:17:31 AM »
Try updating your graphics card drivers.
To do this, refer to this guide.
Hope this helps, if it doesn't then post back.

greg362

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »
I have no idea what to pick for downloading the graphics stuff. i know im using windows xp but thats pretty much it. i'm not sure what to choose. Also today my driver stoppedworking right and playing dvd's/ cd's. Itt doesnt read anything. I think the way my computer reads cd's got corrupted or somthing. ive tried unistalling and reinstalling. So i can't really even check if grpahic card is working once ive fixed it. Ty for helping me so far.  :) :) =2 smileys this time

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 02:35:32 PM »
Go here to get your drivers.
If you're having other problems, how old is the laptop?
If it's still in warranty, send it back and get it repaired - that's my advice.

greg362

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 06:15:46 PM »
k my driver is fixed but the game error isnt fixed yet. Also i uninstalled lots of stuff to make my computer able to work including catalyst. I try and download it and it says INF error- video driver not found
try setup display adapter with standad vga before running setup.
Is this whats causing game to mess up??

greg362

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 07:51:31 PM »
nvm last comment i got it installed im not really sure what to do iwth graphics though. i triedinstalling a new version of the software thingy i think???? any way u could describe where to go on the graphics website a little better.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:52:27 AM »
Click here to download the software you want but do not launch it yet.
On the guide linked to above, scroll down to the "Old Catalyst Removal" section and follow the instructions - except from during no. 4, ignore the instructions to download RegSupreme or RegCleaner, use the manual method described instead but be careful.
Then follow the instructions to the end of the page to install the new drivers and software (the package you downloaded at the start of the post).

greg362

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 10:58:43 AM »
i got really bad startup error message on my computer so im jsut sending it to a friend. Thankyou for all your help. :) :) :) :)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 11:09:26 AM »
You're welcome.
Let us know how it turns out.