Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Distored Graphics, Unable to Sign on.  (Read 2200 times)

NYBrooklyn75

Distored Graphics, Unable to Sign on.
« on: June 08, 2007, 07:53:09 PM »
Hello, Im a a little bit of a noobie but I will try to explain the best I can.

I had my desktop computer made by my friend about 2 Years ago with all new parts and such and it has never failed me.

The other day I was playing World of Warcraft, on my Windows XP and when I alt tabbed out there were all horizontal lines... yellow and such and the computer just seemed to shut down and the screen went totally black. This problem has never happened before.

I started the computer up again and all the Words (the dos like part of logging) while scrolling were all distorted as well (no color). When it got to the colored part of Windows XP where it shows the logo and scrolling little loading bar all of that was distorted with horizontal lines as well. After that step it would go black, and just stay there. I would not get my Welcome Screen to log in.

I decided to look at my graphics card as I dont know alot I figured it was dusty or loose. It was dusty but firly in place so I tryed again , but it still was doing the same thing. Then (taboo  :P) I fidgeted with my card as the computer loaded up. Moving it a little just to see. Seems like when I pushed it down a little the graphics werent as distorted and I could login, long enough to click the start button  :-\ but even with this I still had distorted horizontal lines. Nothing is more then 2 years old I dont think and I am unsure what the exact problem is or what to do. I will try my best to get specs. (It is definately not the moniter :P)

Graphics Card - Geforce 660

Motherboard - From Elitegroup its a 945P-A V1.1
Chipset: Intel

Thank you all who reply I really appreciate it :)

The Saviour

Re: Distored Graphics, Unable to Sign on.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 08:57:50 PM »
The first thing I would do is to turn your computer off.

Unplug the computer from the power outlet and press the power button on the computer to discharge remaining elctricity from motherboard.

Turn off monitor and disconnect it from the video card.

Open the case...while grounded...remove the video card.

Using a pencil eraser, clean the pins on the video card.  Use compressed air to clean the slot where the video card is seated.

Reseat the card making sure it is seated properly.  Secure the card with the set screw.

Close the case...reconnect the monitor and plug your computer back in.

Turn it on and see if it still does the same thing.

Post your results here.

NYBrooklyn75

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:03:08 PM »
The first thing I would do is to turn your computer off.

Unplug the computer from the power outlet and press the power button on the computer to discharge remaining elctricity from motherboard.

Turn off monitor and disconnect it from the video card.

Open the case...while grounded...remove the video card.

Using a pencil eraser, clean the pins on the video card.  Use compressed air to clean the slot where the video card is seated.

Reseat the card making sure it is seated properly.  Secure the card with the set screw.

Close the case...reconnect the monitor and plug your computer back in.

Turn it on and see if it still does the same thing.

Post your results here.

Thank you for the specific instrustions :)

I did exatly as you said and there was no change except after it semmingly shutting down before I can get the welcome screen, it restarted itself and asked me to go into Safe Mode or Last Settings that worked. I tried Both options, Safe mode gave me a full screen of lines I couldnt even read because it was all Liney, and the Last Settings that worked option did nothing. I am at a loss  ??? Thank you though, hope this wont cost me and is just something else >< I dunno how much motherboards or video cards (w/e is not working im still not sure) go for.

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 04:34:40 AM »
Do you have a standby video card you can use as a replacement for your current one to see if that works?

NYBrooklyn75

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 04:50:08 AM »
Do you have a standby video card you can use as a replacement for your current one to see if that works?

I will try going to my parents house and snagging theirs :P, if that doesnt work out Ill be back on here

The Saviour

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:53:14 AM »
Keep us posted...