Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Computer Shuts Off on its Own  (Read 6132 times)

aok_oldschool

My Computer Shuts Off on its Own
« on: June 18, 2007, 10:29:15 PM »
I'm not exactly experienced when it comes to computer problems (I'm not going to lie  ???). Although I do have a bit of forum experience and I did use the search button. However others' problems seem to be different, possibly heat-related. When my computer shuts off (it usually takes over an hour or so of it being on) it automatically restarts, runs a dskchk, sends me an error report, and proceeds as normal. The dskchk always runs on drive D (a drive I have my computer games on). The error report I get takes me to http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/685/en-us/5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0?SGD=7d1741bf-0830-4c7d-8536-c98d29268207. This link would claim to explain my problem, and I'm positive if the error report is correct that my problem is with new software, not new hardware. I was almost possible I found out what program was causing the problem (a little game I had downloaded, ironically at the request of people on another forum). The game was safe, but I think it had something to do with a joystick problem (constantly tried to configure itself to a joystick, which I have never connected to this computer). I of course wouldn't have thought the problem linked to the joystick issue, but then I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321637, which also seemed to relate to my problem (same error message, stop error, etc.). Anyways I removed the program, then my computer slowed drastically down and shut off after a similar period of time. Then I realized the .zip installer was still on, but I hadn't removed it through the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel. I reinstalled it, reset its settings to default, removed the program, deleted all of its files, and now I'm here. The computer has sped up again, although I haven't been on long enough to tell you if it has stopped again. I'm positive many of my methods will be laughable, but eh, coming here is problem the best thing I've done in hopes of solving my problem. Thanks for any help in advance.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: My Computer Shuts Off on its Own
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:47:20 PM »
The most common causes of restarts are bad RAM...heat...or the PSU.

It's rarely a software problem but at this point instead of ruling it out let's check the other things. This will give you a point of reference...

DLoad and run MemTest. Let it run for a few hours. Any errors and it's a RAM issue.

Next remove either the case or a side panel and use a small fan to direct airflow over the main components. If the issue is still there it's not heat related. Take this opportunity to do some housekeeping using a can of compressed air to clean out all heatsinks and fans. Use a Q-Tip to hold the fan blades still while blowing the dust out.

If you can borrow a known good PSU of the same wattage or greater and swap it in there for a day or so. If the problem goes away then the PSU needs replaced.

Last but not least DLoad and run the diagnostics from the manuf. site for your hard drive. This will eliminate it as the culprit if everything checks out.

Meanwhile list all the protection programs you currently have and run all your scans too.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TehGerg

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 01:56:45 PM »
Sometimes if it is a software issue it will leave a trail.  Check out the event viewer its in the control panel under administrative tools look for any red x's and see what the errors are.  If it is software it will tell you what program is crashing.  But more then likely it sounds like a hardware error.

aok_oldschool

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:34:25 PM »
Every single error is an application hang. I ran memtest and didn't find any errors, but it only ran for about an hour (with no other programs running) as I didn't want my computer to shut off. As for protection I have AVG Free Edition, Zone Labs, Spybot, and Lava Soft Ad-Aware. I ran a full system scan and found nothing (multiple times). I guess I'll try the fan idea, only I don't see why the computer would run dskchks every single time it booted up (regardless of whether or not it shut off properly the last time). Thanks, I'll try to keep you posted on anything I find.

[Edit] The file in all the application hangs is iexplore. Anyone know of a program that can correct this? I would be greatful if anyone could tell me whether or not this could be the problem, and whether or not there is a way of correcting it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:45:20 PM by aok_oldschool »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 08:51:11 PM »
Re-read the steps i outlined. 1 of 4 have been done so far...in diagnosing trouble it is worth the effort to eliminate known possibilities in order to narrow down the unknown culprit.
It's called a flowchart approach and prevents going off in a bunch of directions that may prove fruitless.

Again let's eliminate the hardware possibilities before suspecting software...or the registry etc.

aok_oldschool

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:11:26 PM »
I am sorry, as I didn't have much time. I posted only a little while after reading your suggestons. By the time I reopened this thread I assure you I had a fan blowing straight through the back of my computer (yea there's way too much dust, it just about looks like it's snowing in here). I'll wait a while, and if it doesn't shut off I'll post here again. If it does, well I still will. But due to time restrictions I can assure you nothing else will have been done by my next post (unless the time/date of this post and my next are obviously a ways apart). I would hope it isn't my hard drive, as this hard drive isn't much over a year old, and my last one lasted me a good 5 or so (had to replace it). So that will be the last of your 4 ideas I try. If the fan doesn't work then I'll move on to the PSU. Thanks.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 04:12:56 PM »
Take this opportunity to do some housekeeping using a can of compressed air to clean out all heatsinks and fans. Use a Q-Tip to hold the fan blades still while blowing the dust out.

aok_oldschool

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 03:23:33 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. But overheating may be the problem. The computer has not shut off on its own while I have been using a fan, although the chkdsk's continue to run. Any more help would be appreciated.

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
  • Google
    « Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 03:53:54 PM »
    Sorry for the late reply. But overheating may be the problem. The computer has not shut off on its own while I have been using a fan, although the chkdsk's continue to run. Any more help would be appreciated.

The dskchk always runs on drive D (a drive I have my computer games on).

If the hard drive that the chkdsks are being run on is not the boot disk, you could try removing the hard drive and see if the problem remains.

Also, as patio says, if you have not yet cleaned out dust do so as soon as possible or the problem may get worse. If the CPU heatsink is difficult to clean - it may be easier if you remove it.
    System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (up to 3.3 stock V and air)
    ASUS Striker Extreme
    XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
    2x 1gB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    Seagate Barracuda 320gB SATA
    Raidmax Ninja 918 (520W ATXV2.0 PSU)
    -

aok_oldschool

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »
    Drive D isn't a separate hard drive I just formatted it that way. Is there a way to remove only that drive (disable it, etc)? After all the boot drive is on the same piece of hardware.. Sorry I'm being pretty much computer illiterate.

I probably will have to remove it to clean out the dust.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »
    The D: partition is not the source of your woes...but yes you can just delete it .
    Why would you want to do this though ? ?

aok_oldschool

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 06:35:42 PM »
    I'm not going to delete it. Thanks for the word I was looking for. Anyways it keeps running chkdsk on the partition. I believe the problem to be heat related as the computer does not shut off (or hasn't yet anyways) with an additional fan to cool it down. However the CHKDSK still continues.

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 06:48:55 PM »
    I'm not really sure about this, but it seems to me like the computer shutting down and chkdsk running every time the computer starts up are caused my separate problems, because the fan solved one problem but not the other.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »

aok_oldschool

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »
    I thought it might be the registry. Thanks, I'll update you on if I can end this.