Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton Ghost  (Read 4515 times)

fly

Norton Ghost
« on: November 09, 2004, 07:00:14 AM »
Hi,
i have just made a backup of somebodys hard drive to cdrom using Norton Ghost.

The problem is its taken nine 700mb discs to do this on high compresion mode, Is this normal.

They have an 80 gb hard drive that i partitioned into 2 making one 60 gig and the other 20 gig. the 60 gig has windows installed and its only got 3.75 used. So why has it used so many discs.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 07:13:35 AM by fly »

merlin_2

Re: Norton Ghost
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 07:13:57 AM »
maybe ghost is saving data from the 20gig part of the drive...

fly

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 07:17:16 AM »
How can i stop it doing this and in you opinion how many discs should it of used if it was just  copying the 3.75Gb

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 01:23:53 PM »
this link may help you>http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_caveat.htm  most winxp systems use a dvd disk 4 gig...some use two cdrom disks....but these are recovery disks..the image is loaded to the hard drive prior to it been distributed...

fly

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 05:40:22 PM »
Thanks for link it helped alot. I think ill get another hard drive, seems best to have two. That way i dont go hopping mad if my Hard drive fails. Cheers again.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 03:06:31 PM »
How can i stop it doing this and in you opinion how many discs should it of used if it was just  copying the 3.75Gb

I use Ghost all the time.  In high compression mode, it's about 2 to 1 ratio.  For 3.75GB, 3 CD's.  Are you backing up Disk to Image or Partition to Image?  I back up to external hard drives, so you don't have to sit and feed it CD's.  You can even back up to USB hard drives, because there are now USB drivers for DOS.

fly

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 03:21:55 PM »
Lo Commando i used disk to image... You say it should take about 3 cdroms, Why then has it tacken 9 any idears.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 04:04:38 PM »
Lo Commando i used disk to image... You say it should take about 3 cdroms, Why then has it tacken 9 any idears.

You're trying to copy the entire 80GB drive.  You've got more stuff on the drive than you think.

fly

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 05:08:44 PM »
Ok so how do i do it that it doesnt copy the full hard drive, How do i know its copying the full hard drive. i used a norton boot disc went to disk, then disc to image selected the source drive one. then destination as my cdrewriter. So what is it that im doing wrong. There isnt anything else on the drive its a clean reinstall. How do yo do it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 05:10:46 PM by fly »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 06:22:03 PM »
I use Partition to Image.  Select your boot partition and see what happens.