Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hung for Improper Frequency Combination  (Read 5976 times)

KidNovelist

Hung for Improper Frequency Combination
« on: July 17, 2007, 05:19:26 AM »
When I'm just surfing the web, the computer automatically restarts and then makes annoying beeping noises and there's a black screen for a while. I have to take the plug out and put it back it and then it restarts and says in a BIOS setup screen: Error Message: During the last bootup your system hung for improper frequency combination. You are now in safe mode. Make sure frequency combination conforms to specifications of your cpu, dimm, and other connected devices.

And it keeps on doing this every once and a while (Like every day). What should i do to fix it?

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-W500GN1 series and OS: Windows XP

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
  • Google
    Re: Hung for Improper Frequency Combination
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 05:39:34 AM »
    Sounds like your BIOS has been supplied improper/extreme settings, perhaps in an attempt to 'overclock' the system?

Wait for an expert but you should be able to resolve this issue by entering your BIOS's setup by pressing the indicated key while the PC is booting. Then find the method according to your BIOS in which to revert to "Default (settings)". This will likely resolve the issue, unless of course there are other issues; corruption, overheating, memory?

If you do try this method you may be informed that some settings are invalid, as the 'Default' settings are not always appropriate to your computer configuration. These should be automatically adjusted by the BIOS.
    System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (up to 3.3 stock V and air)
    ASUS Striker Extreme
    XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
    2x 1gB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    Seagate Barracuda 320gB SATA
    Raidmax Ninja 918 (520W ATXV2.0 PSU)
    -

PanFox

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:41:11 AM »
    I would recomend you enter your bios on the next boot up,  your computer shoud show you a message at the bottom off the screen while it boots telling you to press a key normaly F2 to enter set up

Once in the bios find an option to reset to default settings and use it. then save and Exit the bios and reboot the Computer.

If i have time ill look up your computer manual and see if i can Find the Exact setting you should have for it... Do Sony Vios have a service Tag like a Dell PC dose ? if so can you post it here then we can look up exactly what your PC is

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
    • Google
      « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:46:56 AM »
      Also, regarding the beeps: BEEP.

BIOS setup screen: Error Message: During the last bootup your system hung for improper frequency combination. You are now in safe mode. Make sure frequency combination conforms to specifications of your cpu, dimm, and other connected devices.

I know I'll probably be wrong about this but, since when do BIOS's have 'safe mode'? I probably have interpreted this wrong... I'm confused? :-\
      System specs:
      ASUS Striker Extreme
      XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
      -

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
      • Google
        « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:52:15 AM »
        I would recomend you enter your bios on the next boot up,  your computer shoud show you a message at the bottom off the screen while it boots telling you to press a key normaly F2 to enter set up

Once in the bios find an option to reset to default settings and use it. then save and Exit the bios and reboot the Computer.

If i have time ill look up your computer manual and see if i can Find the Exact setting you should have for it... Do Sony Vios have a service Tag like a Dell PC dose ? if so can you post it here then we can look up exactly what your PC is

I mentioned all this :P

The OP supplied a model number (PCV-W500GN1), which after a Google Search, indeed returned - a rather nice sonyish looking computer.
        System specs:
        ASUS Striker Extreme
        XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
        -

PanFox

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 06:37:02 AM »
        I see that you did post all off that, but i did not see you had posted all that when i made my post,

as for bios safe mode , yes many bios's do have a safe mode where they run off there default or lower settings

Edit , i forgot to mention i asked for a service Code Type number  as well as his model number in case he might have ordered a laptop that was not the Stock Default , IE he may have a different processor than the one you'll find by that model number hence it may be a different Clock Speed
        « Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:19:28 AM by PanFox »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 04:18:41 PM »
        If no overclocking changes have been made and nobody has fiddled around in there then your CMOS battery is failing...easy enough to replace it's about the size of a dime on the motherboard.
        Part # CR2032 available just about anywhere.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "