Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking Problems MTU/Router??  (Read 4318 times)

Xeratul

Topic Starter
  • 100,000th poster

• Hopeful
  • Experience: Familiar
Networking Problems MTU/Router??
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:23:37 PM »
Xbox 360
OS - Windows XP
Router - Linksys WRT54G
Broadband Modem - Motorola?

Lately, as in the past week or so we've been having a lot of connection problems on our home network. Things like web surfing are fine, but when we try more bandwidth consuming tasks like joining games on the computer; Battlefield 2, Warcraft III. or try playing on Xbox Live we usually get disconnected from the game room in under a few minutes, and I think when we become disconnected on the Xbox it usually only disconnects from the game room itself and not the Xbox Live service. So far I've tried playing Halo2 and Graw2.

When we tryed connecting our Xbox with the wireless adapter the connection troubleshooter said it had an MTU error. I changed the MTU setting on the router from Auto to Manual 1492, (I saw that # Searching through some other posts) and then it worked but I might have just been lucky because I've never had to mess with the MTU on it before to get xbox live to work.

I think the PCs and the Xboxs connection to the router appears fine, and that all the IP settings are configured right. I've tried messing around with the network by trying to bypass the router to the modem or wiring the things to the router instead of using the wireless cards and the 360s adapter, but nothing is working. It just seems like our connections are dropping off when were in games

I have Roadrunner high speed I think, I don't think it's all that fast but these connection problems are much worse than usual. I did an online speed test and it said I had a dl speed of 1.2 mbps and an upload of 369 kbps. I think this is normal though for it though so I can't figure out why my games keep getting dropped.

It might be our router which I've had problems with before. Sometimes it has to be rebooted especially when I leave on big downloads during the night. Maybe it's just getting old and I need to get a new one?

Xeratul

Topic Starter
  • 100,000th poster

• Hopeful
Re: Networking Problems MTU/Router??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
I hooked up a different router and were still having problems... I tryed a direct connection to the modem and we still had problems. So this must be an isp problem right?

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »
    It sounds like it. You said you've tried connecting your computer/xbox directly to the modem with a cable right? Because some wireless connections can be a bit too flaky for gaming as well.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Xeratul

Topic Starter
    • 100,000th poster

• Hopeful
    « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »
    Yes, I did so I guess ill just go call their tech support

JXY

Hopeful
      « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
      When you try connecting, do you get a message saying that you're limited to no connection?
      Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime