Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer can't find memory  (Read 2813 times)

rorf1012

Computer can't find memory
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »
I just installed a 512 mb stick of ram in my compaq presario v2000, and I already have a 256 mb stick of ram in there. So I should have 768 total. But my computer is for some reason only using 640 mb of it. In the bios, it shows all of the ram there. In fact, when I run sisoft sandra, it tells me that I have the full amount, except under the motherboard setting, where it shows me that I don't. So, clearly (I think), some parts of my computer are recognizing the ram, while others aren't. I'm a bit confused--help?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer can't find memory
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 04:12:57 PM »
    If you have the video built in on the motherboard it will take up RAM.  Is you video 128MB?  Because that's the difference between 640 & 768.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »
    If you have the video built in on the motherboard it will take up RAM.  Is you video 128MB?  Because that's the difference between 640 & 768.

Alan <><  :D
    Right, and, in My Computer | Properties | General, Windows will report the total physical memory installed less the amount a shared/dedicated memory in a system with onboard video.  So, if the amount of system memory allocated to video is 128MB, then Windows would report 640MB, as it's been trained to do by Microsoft.   ;D

laptop_guy

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 07:17:24 PM »

Alan <>

I agree

lil_falco

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 07:31:55 PM »
    Are both RAM strips the same speed? IE pc5400, pc3200 etc...

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:58:51 PM »
    Are both RAM strips the same speed? IE pc5400, pc3200 etc...
    Why ask that question?  What does it have to do with the question in the original post?