Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Frozen Cursor/xxxprogram NOT RESPONDING  (Read 5400 times)

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

Frozen Cursor/xxxprogram NOT RESPONDING
    « on: November 19, 2004, 08:15:50 AM »
    On Windows98SE/IEv6/aol ISP:
    Annoying cursor freeze while online, which after several minutes wait while screen unchanged, Ctl-Alt-Delete shows MSN NOT RESPONDING (can be some another program). End Task relieves the frozen cursor and activity resumes -- but have been disconnected because in background can be heard the redialing. In several hours this often recurres which at 16 cents a call does much for the phone company profits.
    Although a computer near-illiterate, I recognize this has something to do with LOW RESOURCES, but have reduced running programs as much as I can. As not know how to remove "hidden" programs these may also be a factor.  Appreciate help!  Sincerely,  RO
    RO

Raptor

Re: Frozen Cursor/xxxprogram NOT RESPONDING
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 08:22:13 AM »
    Scan for Viruses, Trojan Horses and Spyware.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 03:27:08 PM »
      Also, how much memory do you have? Low RAM can lead to unresponsiveness.

Robert Odell

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 11:22:18 AM »
      Thank you, although neither reply will relieve myproblem.

I regularly and that includes yesterday, scan for viruses, etc., with McAfee. Also Norton/Stinger/Skybot/G-Lock Temp Cleaner.

I have 192 Mb on Toshiba Portege 7200CTe.

Assuming no reason not to (?), I'd like to know how to access/delete 214 Hidden Files in the belief this would ease the Low Resources.
      I display the Resource Meter. Infrequently it gets as low as one yellow bar, currently it's one and a half green.

Neil

Expert
        « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 11:58:43 AM »
        To delete tempory Internet files (which I do regularly) go to tools > Internet Options. I also clear history and remove cookies, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

I'd like to know what you have running in the background.

Close any existing windows that you've loaded yourself, but keep anything that Windows automatically loads running. Press control + alt + delete once. This should display the programs you have running. Please list them. There should be a dozen tops. Depending on what you list, I might adivise you on how to stop some programs automatically loaded (and hence taking up resources) when Windows loads. But if you've only got like 4 programs running, I won't bother.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 01:57:53 PM »
          Thank you, Neil.
          I hope your next message will also advise re the 214 hidden files mentioned in foregoing reply to the other two replies.
          I too regularly remove temp files via PCPITSTOP Optimizer program. Most cookies have been disallowed; those I want are so noted.
          I am aghast at the following 20 StartUp files; note I usually End Task on most of them before Scan Disk & Defrag as part of weekly or moreoften maintenance; note also a lot of these apparantly are part of McAfee which I assume have to be there to automaticallyperform their antivirus, etc., function. If not needed please advise:    MSN Hotmail - Message Microsoft IE
          AOL v9 Optimized SE   Msnmgr   Mptkay   Rsrcmtr  
          Mpfagent   Mcvsescn    Mcvsptsn    Mcagent  Mcvsrte     Robotaskbaricon   Rfagent   Riendll   Lexpps   Dkservice   Rnaapp   Aoltpspd     EXPLORER    SYSTRAY        

Checking msconfig startup there are only 14 items checked.

Look forward to your appraisal/advice.  Regards,   RO
          RO

Neil

Expert
            « Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 02:17:02 PM »
            Where are the hidden files located?

Look at your start menu bar on the right. What icons do you have? I realised that it's not possible for me to know what all of the things in the list are. Silly me. On my own computer I usually get a feel for what should or should not be there, but you'll have different programs installed.

In msconfig, deselect any startup entries of programs not regularly used.

After rereading your inital post, the problem is probably down to something else. Has your computer always done this? Try running without MSN and see what happens.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 06:22:02 AM »
              Hi Neil:
              1. Where are hidden files? ANS: Have no idea; how find?
              2. Lower task bar icons to right of start? ANS: AOL/IE/IncrediMail/PCPITSTOP Optimizer/Resource Meter.
              3. Icons to left of Clock: RoboForm/RegistryFirstAid/MacAfee/Sound/1024x768/ TaskScheduler
              4. Computer always done this? ANS: Definitely not.
              5. Running w/o MSN: Then in past experience, another program, say AOL, NOT RESPONDING, then auto restart. Note at this time the Frozen Cursor/Wait/EndTask/Auto Reconnect only happens once per Online session!

I'm going to ANSWERS THAT WORK, which if you do not know it, is a goldmine. Has alphabetical listing of all the msconfig startup items with reco as to deletion. Will check alll 20 of the items in my last message to you.

Look forward to your further advice on this irritating problem.     Regards,    RO
              RO

Neil

Expert
                « Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 02:43:26 PM »
                Try reinstalling/repairing your browser, MSN etc...

Maybe your programs such as roboform and pcpitstop could be interfering? I have never used them so I don't know much about them, but it's worth a try without. Usually you can right click there icons and click some kind of exit or close.

Could you try with the normal Internet Explorer?

Maybe it's your connection. You say it has not happened in the past... were you on a different connection?

One interesting thing you could do is deselect everything in msconfig startup and try... but remember to put it back to normal afterwards. If you don't get the problem then, we'll know it's to do with a program from msconfig.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 03:12:25 AM »

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 01:20:27 PM »
                  Unsure how to REPLY individually, so:
                  Merlin 2: Yes, I have MSN Word (part of MSN Office 2000 Professional);

Neil: Appreciate your comments. I think McAfee is the culprit, specifically, Mcvsescn. At Answersthatwork they really do a number on that file, including reference to NOT RESPONDING problem Have emailed them.
                  Problem not solved because when EndTask on it, up comes FATAL EXCEPTION 0167:BFFAADOB. So must restart. Better to EndTask on the Not Responding program because then the redial is automatic and the screen remains displayed.
                  Cordially,  RO
                  RO

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 01:35:17 PM »
                  • Scan HDD for errors.
                  • Defragment HDD (On a regular basis)
                  • Clean registry
                  • Remove redundant files

Use Windows scandisk and Windows defrag for the first two.

Use a program such as Advanced System Optimizer V2 for the second two.

See if the other tools that are provided with ASOV2 are of any use to your current situation.

Look into this (Click) article as well.
                  « Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 01:35:58 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 01:35:30 PM »
                  did you look at the link?are you using ie6?

wil hessert

too many background programs
                  « Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 08:49:13 AM »
                  Checking forum and noted that you had offered advice to someone that you could stop background programs from loading.  It's a real problem for me, and I don't know where many of them came from or what they mean.  Example:  "leengine", ccapp, etc. etc.  Would appreciate any advice on how to limit these things from starting up every time.  Although I've added RAM to my computer, these programs cause all kinds of adverse effects and I'm constantly having to go in manually and get rid of them to get the computer to respond properly.  Thanks.  Wil

Raptor

Re: too many background programs
                  « Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 09:31:31 AM »
                  Checking forum and noted that you had offered advice to someone that you could stop background programs from loading.  It's a real problem for me, and I don't know where many of them came from or what they mean.  Example:  "leengine", ccapp, etc. etc.  Would appreciate any advice on how to limit these things from starting up every time.  Although I've added RAM to my computer, these programs cause all kinds of adverse effects and I'm constantly having to go in manually and get rid of them to get the computer to respond properly.  Thanks.  Wil

Read This First - Viruses & Spyware