Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power for video card.  (Read 2332 times)

rippa32

Power for video card.
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:44:53 AM »
I was putting together a computer for my brother, I've put together computers before without hassle but that was a while ago. These days they gotta have extra power going to the video cards or something. The card is a Nvidia 8600GTS 256MB, the power cable look like a black plug with 6 connections in a rectangle shape (i.e. 2 rows of 3) which connects to the back of the card and it has 2, 3 connection white plugs coming out of it which will allow the standard 4 connection plugs such as the ones that go into the back of a CD/DVD Drive to be plugged into it. My question is do I need to connect both of these white ones or just one?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:11:13 AM by rippa32 »

oxymoron_02

Re: Power for video card.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 06:29:08 AM »
"When in doubt, try it out"

Try both configurations; first using just one connector. If the video card fails to work, you know you're supposed to use both. However, do not use both connectors first; if you use both and you're only supposed to use one, you'll overload the card with too much power, and possibly damage it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:51:13 AM »
What does the video card manual suggest ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rippa32

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 08:58:16 AM »
It actually didn't come with one. But it doesn't matter, I am currently running it with two under direction from the Nvidia forums and everything is fine.

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:20:34 PM »
    If you have only an 8600 GTS, one 4-pin molex connector should suffice, but be aware that the usage of 2 of these is the norm.
    Also note that if you do not already have a 6-pin power connector coming out of your PSU, you cannot run this card.