Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: second harddrive letter?  (Read 2553 times)

tazpaige

second harddrive letter?
« on: September 19, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »
gateway gp6-400c
win 98 se
celeron-a 400 mhz
384 mb sdram
ibm-dpta 10gb drive master
wdc 30gb drive slave

evening,

i have installed a second harddrive but the computer seems to be reading the two as one.  both are seen as; generic ide disk type 47.  however, the second drive does not have a drive letter.  I can not see it in a way that lets me open/see the files. i am thinking maybe it needs a drive letter.  when i booted i never seen anything about the second drive.  it is set as slave.
device manager sees both drives but both are called generic ide disk type 47.  while device manager sees two drives "my computer" does not.  my computer only see one drive, c-drive.

having said all that, how can i give the second drive a drive letter.

thanks,

tazpaige

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
    Re: second harddrive letter?
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 09:05:38 PM »
    have you changed your bios settings to accomadate for a  second hard drive installed on your computer

tazpaige

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:30:28 AM »
    thanks for the reply Pat,

no i have not done anything to the bios.   i am not sure just how or what to do but will take a look to see if i understand the setup.  please get back with me on how and what i should do in the bios.

thanks,

tazpaige

Viper

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 03:18:16 AM »
    Right click my computer, left click manage, click disk management. Right click the new drive and initialize it. Then format.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 05:28:42 PM »
    I don't believe you will find Disk Management in Win98...
    Open Windows Explorer and see if the drive is listed there. If it's an empty drive it does need to be formatted before Windows will recognise it.
    You can DLoad a Win98SE bootdisk from bootdisk.com which you can create a bootable floppy to format the drive...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Viper

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:35:38 AM »
    My bad, The BIOS should recognize the drive. If not you might be able to get it to recognize using the overlay software provided by western digital. You might also update the BIOS in your computer however this carries it's own risks. How are your drives setup? Do you have an optical drive in the configuration as well? Lot of possibilities.

tazpaige

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 09:03:24 PM »
    thanks to all......

i have been to the site bootdisk.com.   downloaded bootdisks for win95 and win98.
    i am waiting for a file called; doscdrom.exe, which has four drivers for the cdrom.

i tried the western digital bootdisk but it would not work because the harddrive is IBM.

at this time i get to this; A:\>  and when i try setup.exe i get this; not ready reading E:\.

i guess i need a driver.

thanks

tazpaige