Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Huge Computer Problem, Virus? Bug? I don't know but please someone help!  (Read 4307 times)

Alien_1

Hi, I recently downloaded a program called "BitTorrent" that some mates had told me about (so I wasn't 100% sure how it was used but it seemed pretty straight forward). The program seemed fine, I even got it off the official site. I then downloaded a "Torrent" off the net to open through the program. After downloading it I then double clicked it resulting in a familiar window popping up to ask me which program I would like to run it through. As I was going to open the file through BitTorrent I thought it would e best to select that program to run it through. However it didn't go well. My computer is now trying to open every single program that I select through BitTorrent. I set a restore point before downloading the program as I usually do do before downloading anything but now it is even trying to open System restore through BitTorrent! I'm no genius when it comes to computers so I am unsure as to whether it was a virus or a fault. I'm just praying that someone here can help me.

Thanks,

Alien_1

EDIT: oh, almost forgot it may help if you knew that I am using Vista home premium. Thanks again, Alien_1

robit

Beginner

Re: Huge Computer Problem, Virus? Bug? I don't know but please someone help!
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »
    Hi.....Have you uninstalled this program? If not do it......If you did...Have you shut down and restarted your system?....If so...shut down  and  stall your system disk.......We do'nt know what system you have...so pls inform us.....Thanx....[/i]
    It's not how much you know, It's how little you talk about it.

Alien_1

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:05:46 AM »
    yeah I have uninstalled it and rebooted my computer however I don't really understand what you mean by "Stall your system disk" if you could explain in a littl more detail that woud be great thanks

robit

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 04:24:05 PM »
      Sorry about that!   Pls INSTALL your system disk....You will lose some programs and apps, but the system will be as you purchased it..... also did you shut-down the system-not reboot it......  If you want to try and find this program without The system disk install.......go annd click start - then press RUN - a little panel should appear - type msconfig- click ok, now your in your system config utility..... go to the services tab and click it....at the bottom check the box hide all ms services... the only apps running should be anti-virus....look for things that do'nt look right....and disable them...if you are not possitive of what a program is.....write down and google it to find its meaning....if this fails..... system disk time!!!! goood luck
      It's not how much you know, It's how little you talk about it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 06:15:32 PM »
      HOLD ON A SECOND HERE...
      robit i know you are trying to assist but you need to let people know they will lose all their data and programs on a re-install. So let's move a little slower unless all data has been backed up 
      There is a problem with your file associations...
      Start by uninstalling the bittorrent app.
      Re-boot and go to Start/ All Programs...find Command Prompt, right click it and select run as administrator...at the command prompt type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter. Have your Vista CD handy as it may ask for it.
      Post back with the results...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

elxr06

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 11:33:29 PM »
      1. well since you did have restore point before installing bittorrent, then restore back to that point in time, unless computer tells you it can't do that.

2. check your computer with anti spyware and anti virus program(s)

3. if you have done above and you are you have clean system, then try resetting the default programs used to run files on default (like music player, default browser, etc) and checking other settings that you think might have affected what programs open what things.

4. if nothing work, then back up all important files / files you want to save, make list of all software you will need to reinstall, then reinstall windows or boot recovery cd, or use recovery program.

If you have HP or compaq computer, then you most likely have recovery program on computer already installed by manufacturer, so just run upon rebooting by pressing correct keys and following directions.

Alien_1

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 05:49:32 AM »
      thanks for suggestions but I managed to find a solution here:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=131#p131