Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Safe to install?  (Read 4048 times)

Zenthus

Safe to install?
« on: October 04, 2007, 09:26:27 AM »
Okay, I recently bought a Toshiba laptop (nothing incredible, it was only 500 bucks.  1.8 ghz, 80 gb hd, 512 RAM, etc).  As is the case with most computer purchases, it comes with Vista--which sucks *censored*.  My husband is a composer and his software won't work on Vista!

Anyway, the only copy of XP we can find around our house is one that came with a Dell computer and says right on the CD that it's only to be installed on a Dell.  Is there some reason that this wouldn't work on the laptop?  Would I need a CD key for specifically that CD or could I nab the windows key off of this computer (which runs XP)? I know it's possible to do but I forgot where to get it/how to go about doing it, and I'm not sure if it'd work.

Should I just invest in buying a new copy of XP? It's harder than it sounds since we're having a baby any day now, so we're trying to avoid it if possible!

Thanks in advance.

Spero-T

Re: Safe to install?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:33:21 AM »
You need the original cd key that came with the cd, and there is no reason why it would not work on your laptop !

Zenthus

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:43:19 AM »
Sadly, whoever had the idea to save the CD didn't have the code saved in it.  *grumbles*  I'll see if I can find it, but thanks for the advice. 

How much is a copy of XP running at right now, just for curiosity's sake?

Spero-T

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:50:48 AM »
£160.98 may be cheaper

$250 <--- i think thats what it converts to if your in the USA

check your pms 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »
You need the original cd key that came with the cd, and there is no reason why it would not work on your laptop !
There is a reason it won't work on that laptop...it's not a Dell ...period.
OEM CD's are tied to the hardware they shipped with.
This will be an exercise in futility.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Spero-T

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 02:33:10 AM »
There is a reason it won't work on that laptop...it's not a Dell ...period.
This will be an exercise in futility.

Understood Master - I did not belive there was any difference other than where the cd was burnt - Dell factory - Hp factory

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 03:51:28 AM »

I'm sure I've installed OEM versions of XP on 2 (or more) seperate computers with vastly different hardware specs ???
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"