Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Word  (Read 2434 times)

AlexMurphy

Microsoft Word
« on: October 11, 2007, 11:31:30 AM »
Hi,

I am just wondering about something, I am trying to find a way to make my job a little bit easier and I used to do a bit of programming but I am a bit lost when it comes to utilizing other programs like for example Word.

I have to create letters but what I was wondering is if there was some features like dialog boxes that ask for info and then input it into pre-defined places, sort of like Access where it asks for information and then does its own thing accordingly.

What I'd like to be able to do and wonder if it is possible is to have a feature that when used, will prompt me for stuff like

"Name"
"Address Line 1"
"Address Line 2"
"Post Code"
"Job Title"
"Job Reference Number"

So after a few prompts all of them will go to the correct place, because the document refers to specific things in the bulk of the text and instead of meticulously copying and pasting and sorting it out, it'd make it so much easier to have dialog prompts for information and put it into predefined places.

Can anyone help me?

Computer3912

Re: Microsoft Word
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:56:01 PM »
Sounds like you can create a macro with pauses for input if you're writing the same letter or doc and need to input custom info into specific places. I do it in wordperfect and I assume Word has the same capabilities or should. Try a help search for Marcos in Word, and the instructions should be easy after that.

Otherwise, if you want to put it in info without typing all of it, you can create a file of the info and use the insert file command. WordPerfect has something called quickwords which does the same thing basically, but Word does not offer that I don't believe. Which is why WordPerfect has always been my processor of choice.

Sounds like the insert file will work if you input the same info into different docs. Piece of cake.

Hope this helps.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Microsoft Word
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 10:20:45 AM »
This sounds like a mail merge situation to me.  If you have a list of contacts in Outlook,  Excel, or Access, here's reference: Word mail merge: A walk through the process