Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: microsoft update changed all my settings!  (Read 4365 times)

Mabes

Topic Starter

Rookie
    microsoft update changed all my settings!
    « on: October 10, 2007, 02:07:49 AM »
    I wasnt sure where to put this but my issue is with a microsoft update. i left my computer on, everything was fine and dandy, and when i came back an hour later it had done one of those annoying microsoft updates and then rebooted itself. it said "new hardware found" so i told it to search for the new hardware and install, but then it kept telling me that the hardware couldnt be found.  ???

NOW i cant change my screen resolution to be any higher thatn 1024, which is annoying because my screen is much bigger than that. i went in and looked at my drivers and my video one has the big yellow question mark by it. does this mean that the update screwed itself up and took my video/display stuff down with it? what should i do?? i cant get in to change my settings on the display because the properties button is grayed.

i have a toshiba satellite running windows XP, if anyone needs to know. please help! i hate microsof!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: microsoft update changed all my settings!
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 04:07:18 AM »
    Go to the below site and download and reinstall the video
    drivers for your notebook computer.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp

You may also try booting in safemode and choose'Last Known Good
    Configuration'.

Below is a link for safemode from computerhope.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
    « Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 04:37:49 AM by street1 »
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Mabes

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
      thanks for responding!

okay i tried downloading and reinstalling my video driver last night, but when installing it told me it couldnt find the proper software! what does that mean???

so now everytime i start my computer it still says found new hardware, and it searches for about five minutes for: Video Controller (VGA compatible)
      and it searches in C:\gecam\Driver

but it comes up with nothing still. any more ideas??? thank you so much for helping. ive got nobody else! microsoft gave me crap for help

oh i should also add, i cant do system restore because i bought this laptop as a display laptop from office depot, and they must have disabled system restore because ive never been able to use it.

please someone help me i have a ton of work i need to do for college
      « Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:10:34 PM by Mabes »

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:36:19 PM »
      One of the reasons, I hate automatic updates. I disabled them, and I check for them manually, once in a while.

and reinstalling my video driver last night
      How, exactly? Through Device Manager?

and it searches in C:\gecam\Driver
      You may have to point Windows to a location where you downloaded your new drivers.
      Also possible, you downloaded wrong driver.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
      « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 05:09:50 PM »
      'This is just something for you to do if you haven't yet.'

Did your laptop still have'Recovery Disc Creator' by Toshiba
      on another partition of your hard drive?

There is an example of what I mean at the below site.

http://209.167.114.38/support/techsupport/tsbs/all/-TSB001019.htm
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Mabes

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 05:29:56 PM »
        Broni - tried all that! about the 5th time i DLd the driver, i made note of where it was going. then i went and manually told it where the driver was. it STILL gives me the message. thats why im so confused.

street1 - hmm im reall not sure...i mean...ive seen that screen before. if i hit f12 while its starting up it takes me there, but i dont really understand what it is that you are asking me if i have. sorry!!! im really bad with this sort of thing...

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 05:35:12 PM »
        OK..
        - Did you try System Restore dated from before last Windows update?
        - If you can't use System Restore for some reason, uninstall last Windows update
        - Post your Toshiba Satellite model number.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
        « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 07:56:15 PM »
        Broni - tried all that! about the 5th time i DLd the driver, i made note of where it was going. then i went and manually told it where the driver was. it STILL gives me the message. thats why im so confused.

street1 - hmm im reall not sure...i mean...ive seen that screen before. if i hit f12 while its starting up it takes me there, but i dont really understand what it is that you are asking me if i have. sorry!!! im really bad with this sort of thing...

You are supposed to be able to make a 1 time copy of restore disks to
        restore you computer to like new from the factory.

'Recovery Disc Creator' <-----Is that what you saw?

Mabes

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »
          thanks again for all your help guys. im beginning to lose hope as my research on this subject has lead to me tons of other people saying this particular update messed up their computers, and nobody has a fix yet.

okay, Broni: System restore has not worked for since I bought this computer, because I got it as a display laptop at Office Depot. I think they turned it off somehow so that customers browsing though couldn't use it. I was going to uninstall the last update, but I'm really worried im going to make the computer WORSE. I have way too much information on here that I cant lose, and only one thumb drive to put stuff on.
          My Toshiba is a Satellite, Model M65-S809

Sreet1: Yep that is what I saw!! So before doing anything, I would use that to back everything up? Is that what you're getting at?

*is computer illiterate*

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 03:01:04 PM »
          System restore has not worked for since I bought this computer
          Then, it was a clear mistake to buy it. Even if it was a floor model, I believe, you still had 30 days to return it, or it wasn't store policy?
          I was going to uninstall the last update, but I'm really worried im going to make the computer WORSE.
          Uninstalling Windows update won't harm your computer, and it's a good chance, it'll make it BETTER.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
          « Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »
          Is the below link the video driver you installed?

Here

Mabes

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »
            broni: i didnt need system restore till about a year after i bought it, so i didnt even know they had done that :( i went in and asked them about it and they just shrugged.

street: yep thats the one! its on my desktop now in a folder. ive tried pointing the wizard to it and it just gives me the same message over and over!

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »
            Mabes...
            I can see, that download is an ".exe" file.
            Driver doesn't have that kind of extension. It's most likely self-extracting file, and your driver is inside that file.
            You have to double click on that file to expand it, and then go back to Device Manager, and point Driver Wizard to a location where expanded files are located.